Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Any EVF is better than no EVF...at least for me.
Well, the G2 is bound to have an EVF, since the G1 has one.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:53 AM   #12

I've been waiting for this particular announcement before making a final decision on which m4/3 system to buy into.... at least I've actually decided that m4/3 is the way forwards for me!!

The problem I have remains that I'd like some of the features of the Olympus PEN series (in-body stabilisation, ISO6400, stereo audio) and some from the Panasonic GF1 (faster auto-focus, built-in flash). The E-PL1 is obviously interesting on some levels, but I've yet to see one here in the UK - the E-P1 felt slow compared to the GF1, and I do wonder about the PL1 being a tad 'cheap'. Both the E-P1 and GF1 felt very solid.

Having waited to hear what Panasonic plans, I'm now beginning to wonder what on earth the supposed G2 and G10 will actually be.... will there be a touchscreen, gps, or weathersealing?

Isn't a G1 with more features and/or updated specs not just a GH1? It'll be interesting to see how Panasonic play this one. Sensible money is on the addition of video in the G2, but what flavour and will they restrict it to 720p so as not to cannibalise GH1 sales? Will they use the GH1 sensor (which I think's different??) and will the price point be the same as the current G1? My guess is that a G2 will sit above the GF1 in the line-up, and it may well trump its' older brother until we see a GH2 in the Autumn......

As for the G10 - I hope that Panasonic don't just play the marketing game, and offer a stripped down GF1 (ala E-PL1). Wouldn't it be nice if the G10 turned out to be smaller than the GF1 with fixed lens - more of an LX3 replacement with m4/3 sensor? Now that, I'd like to see - and if I remember correctly, "fixed lens" is a feature we've not yet seen in a m4/3 camera.

So many questions (in my head at least!), but I guess we'll have answers shortly - I've read there's a press conference scheduled for 9am in London this coming Sunday. I do hope it's not another disappointing event, and it turns out I was wise not to buy a GF1 two months ago!!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:03 AM   #13

Personally, I would like to see a G10 with touchscreen to reduce the control buttons on the back, making the camera smaller in width and height. Then I'd like to see the shutter repositioned closer to the sensor, and a new pancake lens that recesses partially inside the camera when turned off, making the camera less deep as well. This way, we could still have a full function Micro 4/3 camera, but much smaller and more pocket-able.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Personally, I would like to see a G10 with touchscreen to reduce the control buttons on the back, making the camera smaller in width and height. Then I'd like to see the shutter repositioned closer to the sensor, and a new pancake lens that recesses partially inside the camera when turned off, making the camera less deep as well. This way, we could still have a full function Micro 4/3 camera, but much smaller and more pocket-able.
Which is quite close to my LX3 replacement theory... I'm not sure how thin the body could be, but with a retracting fixed lens it should be feasible to reduce the size at least a little bit. I like your idea, but I reckon the pancake's probably about as small as it could be already whilst still being usable!!

One concern I have over the whole touchscreen thing are finger prints. Sure, I love my iPhone, but if there's no EVF and only a touchscreen that you have to use to control camera settings, it's going to be a pain having to use a smudged screen and/or clean it all the time.

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Mar 4, 2010 at 8:11 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
...the E-P1 felt slow compared to the GF1,...
I have the EP1 but since I already had the G1 with the two kit lenses, I bought the EP1 body only. A co-worker has the GF1 and to be honest, his GF1 is no faster than my EP1 with the Pana 14-45mm lens. I think the Oly 14-42mm is slow and affects the AF speed of the camera. I find the EP1 to be just as fast with the 45-200mm lens. A bit slower with the 17mm, so the Oly lenses are definitely the bottleneck, not the camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:27 PM   #16

I have tried the panny 20mm on the pen's and it is just as fast as the gf1. I will be getting panny lenses for my epl-1 over the oly lens, they are brighter and faster.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
...I will be getting panny lenses for my epl-1 over the oly lens, they are brighter and faster.
And unfortunately, more expensive. Who would think, hey?!?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:44 PM   #18

Thanks Tullio (and shoturtle)... very interesting. The plot thickens, and just when I thought I had no more factors to consider!

Given the value of buying in 'kit' form, and that the Panasonic lenses are subjectively 'better' than the Olympus, it looks like I'll end up with a Pan rather than a Pen (!).... might even be a G2.

Looking at high ISO performance (which might be improved in the G2 if it uses the GH1 sensor), I spotted on DxO that whilst I've been thinking the GF1 doesn't do ISO6400, where the E-P1 does, in actual fact it seems that Panasonic's "actual" ISO settings doesn't tie in with the user selection. It would seem that ISO3200 is (give or take) just as sensitive as 6400 on the E-P1.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:45 PM   #19

mrmacmusic,

Are you a jpeg shooter or raw shooter. Another thing to consider is if you shoot jpeg. The Oly has a way better jpeg engine then the panny. So you get a better product in this format. If you are a raw shoot, then it is a moot point. More to consider.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:55 PM   #20

To be honest, I used to shoot RAW most of the time with my Canon 40D and process in Aperture and/or Camera Raw (Photoshop).... Nice JPEGs off camera would be good, and the art filters fun, but ultimately not good enough reasons to choose Olympus over Panasonic..... Decisions, decisions!