Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
...but when you're talking about moving subjects (children, sports, flying aerobatics etc..), and you've got a choice between 1/30 (1600) and 1/60 (3200) - the faster shutter could well be advantageous, even if it means a trip to Photoshop and NeatImage to clean things up a bit.
I find noise between 3200 and 6400 ISO to be more than twice as much. ISO 6400 is very unusable. If you are shooting kids at play and with ISO 3200 you can only get 1/60, then you need flash (unless you are taking pictures of kids running inside a museum in very low light where flash is not allowed...but that would be a big no no, wouldn't it?!?).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
mrmacmusic,

Just to give you something else to consider. If you put the non stabilize panny 20mm 1.7 onto the inbody IS of a pen. It would give you a fantastic low light camera set up in the m4/3 world. Give close to 1.1 to 1.2 in performance.
Yes, there is no doubt that a fast lens helps in low light conditions and having the IBIS is a huge plus (the IBIS was actually the primary reason I decided to get the EP1 considering I already had the G1).

Tullio
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:21 AM   #33

Tullio,

That is one of the reason I got the epl-1, adding the panny 20mm 1.7 would give me a great low light package. I am opting against the lower price oly 17mm 2.8. Eventhough it is 1/2 the price. Faster focus with a bright lens, and IS added performance gives it a edge over the gf1 with the same lens in low light.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 5, 2010 at 1:32 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:48 AM   #34

From what I've seen, the 20mm is a great lens. I went for the 17mm exactly because of the price and I'm very happy with it. Sure it would be nice to have the extra f/stop but it's also nice to have the extra 6mm on the wide side. I've got a couple of $379 offers on Amazon for the 20mm. I think price will eventually drop to the $350 range. Then I'll buy one.

Tullio
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:57 AM   #35

actually with the ibis, they are pretty close in performance in low light hand held saturation. But yes, I am waiting before getting the 20mm. It will be a holiday purchase this year. After shooting the epl-1 with the kit lens. I think I will have to move the time frame up on the panny 45-200mm zoom. I think my wife will want the added reach first over a fast prime.

I also like the fact the I can choose 3 different IS mode, IS 1 does both axis, IS2 does vertical only and IS 3 does horizontal only. This will give me 4 IS options with the panny zoom lens. Lens IS, and the 3 ibis.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM. Reason: typo 3 ibis not 2 ibis
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I find noise between 3200 and 6400 ISO to be more than twice as much. ISO 6400 is very unusable. If you are shooting kids at play and with ISO 3200 you can only get 1/60, then you need flash (unless you are taking pictures of kids running inside a museum in very low light where flash is not allowed...but that would be a big no no, wouldn't it?!?).
Yep, better with flash at those levels - they were just hypothetical exposures though – like I said, I never really shot beyond ISO1600 on my 40D, and that was with my 50mm at approx. f/2 - f/2.8..... Llike I mentioned before, reading DxO would suggest that ISO800 on the GF1 is actually more sensitive than ISO1600 on my old 40D. If I was inside a museum or doing still life work, I'd probably opt for as low an ISO as possible, and resort to a tripod when required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Yes, there is no doubt that a fast lens helps in low light conditions and having the IBIS is a huge plus (the IBIS was actually the primary reason I decided to get the EP1 considering I already had the G1).
IBIS remains a pulling factor towards the PEN range - but I think now it's the only one. All my old Canon lenses were stabilised (with the exception of the 50mm prime), so a Panny kit with 14-45, 40-200 and 20mm would be a very similar, yet smaller, outfit to what I had before.... I quite like that idea.

Quote:
actually with the ibis, they are pretty close in performance in low light hand held saturation. But yes, I am waiting before getting the 20mm. It will be a holiday purchase this year. After shooting the epl-1 with the kit lens. I think I will have to move the time frame up on the panny 45-200mm zoom. I think my wife will want the added reach first over a fast prime.

I also like the fact the I can choose 3 different IS mode, IS 1 does both axis, IS2 does vertical only and IS 3 does horizontal only. This will give me 4 IS options with the panny zoom lens. Lens IS, and the 2 ibis.
I'll need to read up on Panny in-lens IS, as I expected it would have a 'panning' (i.e. horizontal only) stabilisation mode.

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Mar 5, 2010 at 3:52 AM.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:32 PM   #37

Quote:
I also like the fact the I can choose 3 different IS mode, IS 1 does both axis, IS2 does vertical only and IS 3 does horizontal only. ...
Plus you can specify the FL of the MF lens you are shooting with and have the camera stabilize based on that.

Tullio
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:38 PM   #38

Tullio,

FL what is that short for?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:45 PM   #39

Mrmacmusic,

I was playing around with the 45-200mm lens today. There is only on and off on the IS. I know that my canon ef 70-300mm IS USM have 2 IS mode to select on the lens. It worked fine in C-AF and was really fast on the epl-1. It is really a nice lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 5, 2010 at 4:56 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Tullio,

FL what is that short for?
Focal Length

Tullio