Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
mrmacmusic,

Just to give you something else to consider. If you put the non stabilize panny 20mm 1.7 onto the inbody IS of a pen. It would give you a fantastic low light camera set up in the m4/3 world. Give close to 1.1 to 1.2 in performance.
Hi there,... I think those planning to use 20mm 1.7 lens on EPL1 may be in for a surprise.
I'm shooting a GF1 and have 2 lenses. Was thinking of getting EPL1 for my wife to use the 20mm as it has IBIS. Yesterday, it struck me while shooting wide open in bright daylight - the shutter speed is constantly at 1/2500 to 1/3000. As EPL1 shutter limit is 1/2000 the aperture would be forced to stop down to f4 or 5. This would reduce the bokeh if any is still left. Bokeh is quite important as I like to shoot portraits.

If anyone has found a way around this,.. let me know. I almost pulled the trigger for an EPL1 for my wife as we're on a trip this Sat to Italy... cheers and thank you.

Last edited by sohwk; Apr 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM.
sohwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:33 PM   #52

If you're shooting wide open in bright daylight, I can appreciate how even with low ISO settings your shutter speeds could well be high as suggested....

However, there is an answer, which - unless I'm very much mistaken - is simply to use an ND filter on the front! I don't have personal experience, but do know that they come in different strengths to suit different situations, reducing the amount of light getting through the lens to varying degrees, allowing for slower shutter speeds in brighter shooting scenarios.

I'm sure others who've used one will advise on a good one to go for.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:11 AM   #53

Hi mrmacmusic,

Thanks for the solution.
Yep, aperture priority mode, ISO = base 100 and wide open f1.7 for bokeh. And I need to correct myself, the shutter speed actually hovers at 1/3200 (instead of 1/2500 that I previously mentioned) in bright day light.

If I leave the GF1 in automode, it stops down to f4 when it's cloudy and to f9 (1/160) when sunny in open fields - results in bokeh-less portraits.

Looks like ND filter is THE solution though I still have to remove it at night.... thanks ^^

Last edited by sohwk; Apr 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM.
sohwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:22 AM   #54

Yes mrmacmusic, shoot at 100 iso, with a ND filter and that will solve having it at 1/2500 to 1/3000 shutter speed. Something like a nd 4 or 6 should do the trick. I have couple of ND filter just to reduce my shutter speed on my fast primes for my T1i.

If I did not have a nd filter, I would shoot around 3.5 in bright sunlight, and it will still give you a decent bokem effect if you do it right. If you can get some separation between you subject and the background you can get a nice bokem effect without to much problem even at f4. And it is not that hard when you are using a 20mm lens to get the separation.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 6, 2010 at 3:32 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:47 PM   #55

ND 4 will give you 1 fstop
ND 6 will give you 2 fstops