Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:13 PM   #1

Default First day out with GH1...

Those who have followed (and helped me through) my struggle to decide on a new camera will know I plumped for a GH1. It's been a busy week, so I've not had much time to play with my new toy, but today my wife and I took our two kids to a nearby Safari Park, and I got the opportunity to test out the GH1 for the first time on our family day out....

Needless to say, I'm a very happy bunny indeed. The GH1 does everything I had hoped it would, combining excellent stills and video performance in a relatively compact package - it's much more convenient to carry about and really was a pleasure to use. I got some great family shots, and must say that even the default straight-out-the-camera images are superb (OK, maybe they should be at the price). The video footage is a revelation compared to our old DV camcorder.... I've already cut a 9 minute highlights piece in iMovie which looks stunning in High Definition. Brilliant!

The articulated screen proved really useful, and on the odd occasion where the sun actually came out, I had no problems composing on the LCD. I didn't take a lot of action shots (although 2 kids running about is action enough!), but there is a large aero-slide which allowed me to prove that continuous shooting works just fine, even with the LCD blacking out between each shot.

Down sides? Well, let's just say I'll be ordering a spare battery tomorrow. I got around 190 shots and 15 minutes of HD video, which is maybe a little less than I expected considering the battery was 90% charged.

My wife doesn't like me sharing family snaps online, but I thought you'd like to see a few first day photos.... Nothing spectacular, and certainly not technically brilliant, but I think they illustrate how capable the standard GH1 kit is. I'm looking forward to getting out with it more, and having the opportunity to work on some 'creative' pieces in the future

mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:09 PM   #2

Congratulations, mrmcmusic!

These shots are great! Amazing #1 and this one here.....

....is very good. High quality and very nice Bokhe IMO.

Nothing is better than a happy "marriage"!

....and I am not envious alt all......................

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:19 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Congratulations, the pics look great. and glad to hear you were able to get some nice family shots and video.

yes, anytime you are using video on any camera, you will burn the battery pretty quickly, so for video+still usage you will want a spare.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Congratulations, mrmcmusic!

These shots are great! Amazing #1 and this one here.....

....is very good. High quality and very nice Bokhe IMO.

Nothing is better than a happy "marriage"!

....and I am not envious alt all......................

Thanks Walter! I wasn't expecting 'amazing' or 'great', but I wanted to share something with you all here.... glad you liked them. The meerkats always make me smile!!

Surely with the thousands of shots you've taken with your G1, you could justify a 14-140 purchase, no? Heck, you must be wearing it out - so why not just get a GH1 too........

Have you tried the 14-140? As I mentioned elsewhere, I was surprised how heavy and small it was, and it was stiffer to rotate than I had anticipated - but having used it "in the field", I'm absolutely delighted that it - coupled with the GH1 - seems to be the everyday and 'creative' solution I was hoping for. Hope the happy marriage continues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Congratulations, the pics look great. and glad to hear you were able to get some nice family shots and video.

yes, anytime you are using video on any camera, you will burn the battery pretty quickly, so for video+still usage you will want a spare.
Thanks too Hards... For a first day out (where admittedly the camera wasn't the focus), I was very pleased with the results. Now, off to find a deal on a battery...............
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:41 PM   #5

Here's a couple more shots of the tiger, who steadfastly refused to pose for me (mind you, I wasn't going to argue!)......

These were both shot at 1/200 at full 140mm (280mm, 35mm equivalent), which I think illustrates that the optical stabilisation is quite effective, and the lens is pretty sharp all the way out. The tiger shot in my original post above was taken with 'extra zoom' (i.e. 6mp original image), whilst these 2 here are full resolution originals. I had to manually focus all these tiger shots because of the fencing - quite liked the 'manual focus assist' function though that helped get focus just about right (!).

This last one was indoors at ISO1250 with tricky lighting.... think it turned out OK!

Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:08 PM   #6

Very nice, like the meerkats, they are entertaining animals. I would not argue with tiger either. The photos look really good. Looking forward to seeing some more samples or the GH1.

Glad to know the 14-140mm is a nice lens. Yes for a little lens it is a bit heavy.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:39 PM   #7

Thanks shoturtle!

Quote:
Glad to know the 14-140mm is a nice lens. Yes for a little lens it is a bit heavy.
Small and heavy, yes - but to me, it just feels re-assuringly solid and well made. The GH1 kit is certainly not lightweight, but it wasn't a burden on our day trip.

The 14-140 range definitely works well for me, and I've established with the first tiger shot that when I need a bit more reach (and can live with a 6mp image), I can certainly use the 'extended zoom' function.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:44 PM   #8

I just pick up the panny 45-200mm today. Did not have a real chance to play with it as it will be raining the next couple of days. But just pointing it out the window. I was please it got across the river with decent range.

Well if you get the panny 4/3 adapter, the oly 70-300mm will let you reach out to 600mm I would check the panny site for compatibly chart. I know the G2 and G10 resolve the AF issue with many 4/3 lenses.

I linked the panny info onto this thread

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...49-lenses.html
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:02 PM   #9

The Olympus 70-300 would certainly work on the GH1 with the 4/3rds adaptor, but I think I'll wait and see what Panasonic's own 100-300 is like (and what it costs).... no more lens purchases for me just now anyway, although I should get my hands on the 20mm pancake in the next few weeks as payment for a spot of work I did recently. I'm quite excited about that too, as it completes my 'starter' GH1 outfit!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:07 PM   #10

Knowing panny lenses that will be quite expensive for the 100-300mm. The 14-140mm HD is a 900 dollar lens here.

Yeah, I think I will skip the oly m4/3 17mm 2.8 and go with the panny 20mm 1.7 also when. Think matching it with the IS of my oly it will give it very good low light performance with 2000iso. That should round out my m4/3 kit with the 4 lenses.

I got to say, the panny lenses are super quite when focusing. I do not hear a thing, and I thought the oly 14-42 was quite.