Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old May 12, 2010, 4:51 PM   #1

Default The GH1 honeymoon is over...

...and I still love it!

Having not posted for a while, I thought I'd share some thoughts and images with you all having lived with the Lumix for a couple of months.

I've chosen Canon FD as my 'legacy lens of choice' and now have a 50mm f/1.8 and 100-300 f/5.6 in my bag. There is a 70-210 f/4 on it's way though, as I wasn't expecting the 100-300 to be quite so heavy and long.... it's a bit unbalanced, although still perfectly serviceable. I've also got a set of extension tubes, and a nifty 'macro-focusing' 2x teleconverter (Vivitar) which - for all they set me back - are good to have.

Does all that let me take better pictures? Probably not, but I'm really enjoying the GH1 kit, and I think that's the main thing. I still say as a 'creative hybrid' the GH1 kit with 14-140 is an awesome tool, both for stills and video (I love the HD capabilities, which are enhanced further by shooting the FD prime or 20mm f/1.7 pancake).

Anyway, here are some samples. Hope you like them!

GH1 + 50mm + tube(s)

GH1 + 50mm + 2xTC

GH1 + 100-300 (at 300mm)

GH1 + 14-140

mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2010, 7:09 PM   #2

This is simply superb. Thanks for sharing this.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 7:17 PM   #3
Super Moderator

really nice photos. really enjoyed this set. from the really nice macros to the nice lines in the field. composition and contrast/exposure were all spot on. my only nitpick is the sheep photo is soft compared to the rest.

i chose the FD as my legacy glass too. just ordered my adapter and viv srs 1 105mm macro for my EPL1. hopefully it will perform as well as yours have.

keep em coming, i enjoyed this series.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 2:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
This is simply superb. Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks! Glad you liked them.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:37 AM   #5

Default Soft copy, or bad technique..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
really nice photos. really enjoyed this set. from the really nice macros to the nice lines in the field. composition and contrast/exposure were all spot on. my only nitpick is the sheep photo is soft compared to the rest.
Cheers for that Hards80! Nitpicking is good, and you're right about the sheep shot. More on that in a mo......

Quote:
i chose the FD as my legacy glass too. just ordered my adapter and viv srs 1 105mm macro for my EPL1. hopefully it will perform as well as yours have.
I've heard that's a great macro lens... enjoy!! I decided that adding tubes (10) and a macro-focusing teleconverter (3 !!) to my FD 50mm was going to let me experiment with macro and not splash out on a dedicated lens. I have a feeling I will (at some point, mostly when funds allow) and such a beast though. I just think that, considering the lens only cost 20 too (total cost 33), for such 'minimal' outlay, that's an awful lot of extra 'photo-flexibility' in my camera bag. The results, it would seem, aren't all that bad

Don't get me wrong - I'm very, very happy with my GH1 "kit" lens (and the 20mm f/1.7 prime), but the legacy glass just adds something a bit special.... I have absolutely no previous experience with manual photography anything, and I really enjoy how much more involved it feels not to just let the camera make all the decisions. It focuses the grey matter on the subject in hand. Literlly. Oh, and manual focusing also feels so much more 'connected' than fly-by-wire.

Back to that 100-300 though... The sheep shot is soft because (1) it was hand-held at 1/160 right out at 300mm; and (2) it's an 80% crop of the original framing. Post-processing managed to bring out some detail, and I guess it's not bad when you consider the subject distance, equivalent 600mm focal length and slow shutter speed.

However, I'm not 100% sure this lens a 'great' performer, although from the watch image, it's clear it can produce excellent results. It's only day 1 with it, and maybe I simply need to practice my technique! Here are a few more hand-held shots (taken through the office window yesterday):

1/400

1/640

1/320

Quote:
keep em coming, i enjoyed this series.
Will do!
Old May 14, 2010, 10:30 AM   #6

Default FD 70-210 works well on GH1 too...

My 70-210 lens turned up earlier, and having established all was in order with it, I grabbed a couple of quick shots at lunchtime which again I thought I'd share.

I hope to shoot some more over the weekend, but initial impressions are that it handles much better than the 100-300, and it's sharp wide open.

I'm happy (especially considering what I paid for it)

1/1250s, f/4 iso400 (@210mm)

1/1000, f/4 iso200 (@210mm)
Old May 14, 2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Super Moderator

the car looks nice and sharp, you front-focused the bird a tad, but the grass in front looks sharp

did you get the canon fd 70-210? or the kiron 70-210 f4 in canon mount?
Old May 14, 2010, 11:16 AM   #8

Good stuff. The longest vintage lens I have is a 135mm and I find it difficult to shoot with it on a G1 w/o a tripod due to the lack of IBIS. I can only imagine shooting with a 300mm lens. To cover that range, I think my choice will be either the new Pana 100-300mm designed for the m4/3 system or the Oly 70-300mm 4/3 with an adapter (I believe this is one of the few 4/3 lenses to AF on the G1 with the adapter).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 5:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the car looks nice and sharp, you front-focused the bird a tad, but the grass in front looks sharp

did you get the canon fd 70-210? or the kiron 70-210 f4 in canon mount?
LOL! Some you win, some you lose..... guess I need more practice with the manual focusing

It was the Canon 70-210 f/4 and not the Kiron. Hope I chose wisely!
Old May 14, 2010, 5:57 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
It was the Canon 70-210 f/4 and not the Kiron. Hope I chose wisely!
both are excellent. can't really go wrong