Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old May 16, 2010, 4:43 PM   #1

Default Out walking with the GH1...

Went for a walk "up the Glen" this afternoon, and decided to take my GH1 with me!

I'm really glad I did, as I got a few nice pictures, and I thought I'd share a selection with you....

mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2010, 4:46 PM   #2

That is one heck of a lens, very very sharp, Very nicely down with the silky effect of the water with a longer exposure time, and love the way you capture the clouds in 6
Old May 16, 2010, 4:50 PM   #3

Default A few more...

...taken at the bottom of the Glen.

The first two were taken with the 20mm Pancake, and the second two with my Canon FD 70-210 (and Vivitar 2x teleconverter)....

Another couple of slow shutter shots... I think the second is my favourite, and was taken looking down from bridge...

Saw lots of these, in varying states of twisty-ness, but I have no idea what they are. Anyone?

A couple more textural shots....

..and finally, another view from half way up (I never made it to the top!!)

Last edited by mrmacmusic; May 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 4:54 PM   #4

Default ...and finally

...this little critter was waiting for me when I got back!

Not 100% happy with the shot, but at least it shows that I might get somewhere if I put a little more effort into it

It was grabbed quickly with the 70-210 and extensions tubes - I should probably have tried my 50mm instead, but whatever it was, it wasn't hanging about, and I didn't get a second chance!!

Old May 16, 2010, 5:09 PM   #5

Thanks shoturtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That is one heck of a lens, very very sharp, Very nicely down with the silky effect of the water with a longer exposure time...
I took a bunch of lenses with me today - the first 'silky water' shot was actually taken with the 20mm stopped down to f/16 at 1/5, and I'm surprised it was as sharp as it was.

The other slow shutter shots in this set were taken with the 14-140 kit lens stopped down to f/18, and with 1/2s exposures. I didn't take a tripod, so I'm quite pleased with the results. I think we all know that the GH1 likes light, but out in the daylight today, an ND filter would have been good to have so I could have tried some larger apertures!

Quote:
...and love the way you capture the clouds in 6
I had to recover them in the post-processing, but I think they came out OK. It was a glorious day today
Old May 16, 2010, 5:14 PM   #6

I will be picking up the 20mm 1.7 myself in the next week an a half before my trip to paris, What size filter thread does it use. I may have to pick up a 2 ND filters for daylight shooting, if I want to shoot wide open. But the biggest reason for it is to add the low light. So I may just add a ND 6 with the 2 stops for the 20mm.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 5:15 PM   #7

PS

I think Hards will be picking up the 20mm soon also.
Old May 16, 2010, 5:25 PM   #8

Default Nice lens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I will be picking up the 20mm 1.7 myself in the next weekend an a half before my trip to paris, What size filter thread does it use. I may have to pick up a 2 ND filters for daylight shooting, if I want to shoot wide open. But the biggest reason for it is to add the low light. So I may just add a ND 6 with the 2 stops for the 20mm.
46mm thread. Personally, I don't have any filters, and had been thinking about maybe getting one of the 'Fader ND' adjustable ones along with some stepping rings so I could use it on multiple lenses. It would have been very useful today for the slow shutter shots!

You'll love the 20mm - it's a great, sharp, fast little lens! I use mine most of the time indoors, and despite having the "HD" optimised kit lens, I shot virtually all of my recent daughter's birthday with the 20mm (video and stills). Enjoy it when you get it
Old May 16, 2010, 5:30 PM   #9

Thanks,

I will have to get a ND6 before my trip. But I am just going with a screw on filter. Need to keep my travel kit simple. The main reason it that the epl-1 stops at 1/2000 shutter speed

Yeah it looks like a great little lens. I am looking forward to testing it in Paris.
Old May 16, 2010, 5:33 PM   #10
Super Moderator

these look great. a very nice and varied set.

too many to comment on individually, but i thought they were all pleasingly composed and showed good contrast and color.

as showturtle alluded to, i am lookin to get the 20 1.7 as well soon. still waiting for the 9-18 price to come down, its overpriced atm.

got my m4/3 - FD adapter yesterday, just waiting for the lens now. if i like how it works, i may add a medium zoom FD as well. not sure which one atm, but you make a nice case for the fd 70-210 f4