Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old May 18, 2010, 6:57 PM   #1

Default In the garden with my GH1...

I can't believe I didn't notice it before, but it seems my Canon FD 70-210 has a 'hidden' macro feature..... you all knew that though didn't you?

My "D'Oh!!" moment came when I thought the lens barrel was stuck, when in fact, I had simply rotated round beyond the 1.2m mark and into the 'macro zone' available only at 70mm. You'd think the big yellow lettering might have given me a clue

So now my favourite legacy lens has become even more useful, although I'm still working out the best hand-held macro focusing technique with the GH1..... focus assist can be a bit shaky, certainly in my hands!

Today I finally managed to grab a few bugs in the garden (even getting some fine detail for the first time!) and although I'm still finding my way, I thought I'd share some samples from this afternoon, all taken with the FD 70-210 plus 20mm extension tube....

mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2010, 7:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

very nice shots. i am glad you found the macro function lol, those yellow letters spelling macro on the barrel can be sneaky!

this is a great looking lens. good contrast and clarity.

if you haven't seen, i got my viv 105mm macro on my epl1 today and got a few snaps in the oly dslr forum.

i found the focus assist to be difficult at 1:1 macro at 105mm x2x crop factor too. not from handheld for me today, but the wind blew the flowers around too much.
Old May 19, 2010, 3:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
very nice shots. i am glad you found the macro function lol, those yellow letters spelling macro on the barrel can be sneaky!

this is a great looking lens. good contrast and clarity.
LOL! Very sneaky indeed!! Glad I found it too, as that macro function is really useful, and I'm now even happier with my 10 lens - no complaints here about the sharpness or clarity.

Quote:
if you haven't seen, i got my viv 105mm macro on my epl1 today and got a few snaps in the oly dslr forum.

i found the focus assist to be difficult at 1:1 macro at 105mm x2x crop factor too. not from handheld for me today, but the wind blew the flowers around too much.
Just checked it out... nice outfit, and a very nice shot too. It was a bit windy in my garden too, and whilst I prefer hand-held work, I think for eye-popping macro I'm going to have to investigate a tripod, some extra lighting, and maybe move to somewhere with better weather
Old May 19, 2010, 10:16 AM   #4

Good looking shots! I've been thinking about getting a longer vintage lens than the 135mm I have but the lack of IBIS on the G1 discourages me as I'm not too big on tripods (pure laziness).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 2:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Good looking shots! I've been thinking about getting a longer vintage lens than the 135mm I have but the lack of IBIS on the G1 discourages me as I'm not too big on tripods (pure laziness).
Thanks Tullio! I did mention that these were all hand held with the GH1 right? No tripod, no flash..... sometimes lazy is OK
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:18 AM   #6

Wow! I'm impressed.
oznasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oznasia View Post
Wow! I'm impressed.
Thanks oznasia! Not sure if you'll already have seen my reply to your earlier post here...

Having got hold of a Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 (and adapter) on eBay, I definitely caught the "manual lenses" bug, and now have FD-fit extension tubes, macro-focusing teleconverter, this 70-210 and an even longer 100-300...... and I'm having a blast

Hopefully these pics - along with my other threads in the Panasonic Micro Four Thirds forum - illustrate that older, sometimes very inexpensive manual lenses can produce some nice results, and are really easy to use with the micro 4/3 bodies. Manual focus can be very rewarding!!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:58 AM   #8

And a 43 body is the only way you can really use legacy Canon lenses in the 4/3 world. Their flange distance is such that after you add a 4/3 adapter they won't focus to infinity but they will with a 43 adapter.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote