Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:21 AM   #1

Default A question about choice of m43 cameras

Hi all,

Amazon is now selling the Panasonic G-1 camera complete with lens for 499.00 USD. The EPL-1 is also available at various sites for around 520.00USD. Knowing what you know now about the camera you own, what camera would you recommend to someone like me who has 6 or 7 ZD Olympus lenses as 6 legacy lenses.

I am looking for some insight as to which to get? The G-1, GF-1, GH-1,
or Olympus' Ep-1, EP-2, or EPL-1.

Personally, I'm very interested in the EPL-1 because of the price and the video capability.

Your responses would be much appreciated.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:37 AM   #2

What can I say Zig... get a GH1! I've got one, and it's great... best thing since sliced bread

Sorry, that wasn't very constructive

What I would suggest, is that since you already have a collection of ZD lenses (and some legacy glass) you're probably best putting your money on one of the PENs. The IBIS will be useful with the old glass, and you are assured (I believe) full compatibility with the old(er) ZD lenses. Not all Oly lenses will be fully functional on the G1 (or GF/GH1 for that matter).

I do think the GH1 is the most versatile camera I've ever owned... the pics are great, that 14-140HD OIS lens is a peach, and the video simply stunning (even without hacking). Leaving any bias aside, if you are going to get into video, this is the one to get. No question. However, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I've given serious consideration to a second body PEN, with the latest E-PL1 top of the list.

Now is the time to pick up a bargain G1 (or GH1) though.... Decisions, decisions
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:09 AM   #3

Thanks for your very quick response.

And yes, the GH-1 is a very capable camera from everything I've read about it.
I actually prefer the camera body design over the Pen series bodies. That, and the electronic viewfinder being built-in as opposed to and add-on.

The two gotcha's are the lack of auto focus for many of the ZD lenses I now own and the price as compared to the EPL-1.

The lens issue, at first glance, seems like a deal breaker for me as far as choosing a Panasonic body as opposed to a Pen. But, then I start thinking about how I would use it in practical terms. and I keep going back to considering the G-1.
My main use for this camera would be as a travel camera. Something small and light that I would take along on vacations where a small camera and perhaps an extra lens stuffed in my cargo pants pocket would be ideal.

As you said, decisions, decisions???????

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Thanks for your very quick response.

And yes, the GH-1 is a very capable camera from everything I've read about it.
I actually prefer the camera body design over the Pen series bodies. That, and the electronic viewfinder being built-in as opposed to and add-on.
I'm sure you don't need to be reminded about how important the camera 'feel' is........ The G1/GH1 ergonomics aren't perfect, but personally I like the mini grip - it sounds like you would appreciate it to, and yes, the built-in (somewhat excellent) EVF is a bonus of the mini-DSLR styling.

Quote:
The two gotcha's are the lack of auto focus for many of the ZD lenses I now own and the price as compared to the EPL-1.

The lens issue, at first glance, seems like a deal breaker for me as far as choosing a Panasonic body as opposed to a Pen. But, then I start thinking about how I would use it in practical terms. and I keep going back to considering the G-1.
My main use for this camera would be as a travel camera. Something small and light that I would take along on vacations where a small camera and perhaps an extra lens stuffed in my cargo pants pocket would be ideal.

As you said, decisions, decisions???????

Zig
Very tricky. The obvious answer is of course to have both bodies..... The GH1 with 14-140 isn't exactly compact and it's not that light either - although it is significantly smaller than my old Canon 40D with 17-85 and/or 70-300 (and it does superb HD video ), whereas the G1 on the other hand with its' smaller (and less versatile) kit lens, is quite lightweight and 'travel friendly', complete with articulated screen and EVF.

Personally, I'm not convinced Panasonic made all the right decisions with the upgraded G2/G10 combo - the original G1 definitely remains a valid option, and for photography only (i.e. no video) it offers lots of bang for your buck at current knock down prices!

That said, the balance is arguably weighted towards the Olympus in your case. Not knowing what ZD lenses you already have it's difficult to call.... but regardless, they're Olympus lenses. Best suited to an Olympus body. Nuff said?

I'm not making this any easier am I?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:13 AM   #5

[QUOTE=
I'm not making this any easier am I? [/QUOTE]

Hi,

Actually, this isn't really an easy choice and perhaps, the reason I've been taking so long to decide.

Zig

Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:24 AM   #6

It certainly isn't.... pros and cons to both. Hope you make your mind up soon, or at least, before you next go travelling
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7

Zig,

I would stick with the Pens if you want to use your Zuikos. The Pens will AF with your 12-60 and 50-200 SWD Zuikos, which I do not believe either a G1 or GH-1 will do. The G2 supposedly will, but the E-PL1 will even recognize your EC20 and show the corrected apertture settings like your E30 does.

I don't think AF speed with the SWD lenses is very fast with any of these micro cameras though. To be honest, the best "small" camera to be using 4/3 Zuiko lenses with, is an E620 DSLR. I'd rather be using an E-PL1 with the tiny micro lenses.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:12 PM   #8

If you need want low light ability, the olympus epl-1 would be the best m4/3 currently. It can shoot well at upto 2000iso. And with topaz denoise 4, 3200 is not to bad.

There is no focus speed issues after the latest firmware upgrade. It is just as fast as the panny m4/3.

If you have any sigma 4/3 lenses, all the olympus can use them with the adapter, but the panny only some sigma lenses will work with the g1, gh1 or gf1. They resolved the capability issue with the g2 and g10. All olympus lenses will work on the pen.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 30, 2010 at 1:15 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:51 PM   #9

Hi All,
Thanks for all your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Zig,

I would stick with the Pens if you want to use your Zuikos. The Pens will AF with your 12-60 and 50-200 SWD Zuikos, which I do not believe either a G1 or GH-1 will do. The G2 supposedly will, but the E-PL1 will even recognize your EC20 and show the corrected apertture settings like your E30 does.

I don't think AF speed with the SWD lenses is very fast with any of these micro cameras though. To be honest, the best "small" camera to be using 4/3 Zuiko lenses with, is an E620 DSLR. I'd rather be using an E-PL1 with the tiny micro lenses.
Hi Greg,

The E-PL1 is most likely the way I'm going to go-unless some great deal comes down the pike that I can't resist.

As to how I'd use it. While it would be nice to use the ZD lenses with it, my thinking is that I would like to get 2 m43 lenses for it and skip the ZD altogether.

My reasons for leaning towards the E-PL1 are:
in body image stabilization
movie mode
OOC Jpegs are about as good as anything out there right now.
price is very attractive now.

What I don't like:
the body shape and design. I've tried it at Best Buy and I wasn't thrilled.
external viewfinder- easy to lose.

Zig

Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:46 PM   #10

The external vf is really not that easy to loose. It comes in a pouch, that you and run the nylon strap of the camera strap through. I have had mine since April, had not had any issues or misplacing and it is a very sharp evf.