Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:50 PM   #1
JKA

Default Hawaii photos taken with L1

Please visit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3691954...7634288754370/

to view the photo.

P.S. Knowing there is only a few L1 user on this forum, I am wondering if anyone cares!

Enjoy!

Last edited by JKA; Jul 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM. Reason: Update link
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Well to answer your question if anyone cares. I do. I am from Hawai'i and miss it. I appreciate the beautiful shots you have taken and it looks as if you made it to all the islands I am familiar with except Molokai. I hope to go home soon and get to Molokai.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:12 PM   #3
JKA

Thank you very much for viewing! For your information I added more photos for you to see.
Hawaii is a very beautiful island. Love to go back for another visit.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:51 AM   #4

I also care (I have 2 of them)! Great photos.

I suspect that a lot of us L1 users have added a more up-to-date camera body (i.e. better at higher ISOs), which is probably an Oly DSLR since those accept the Leica 4/3 lenses. On the FourThirdsPhoto forum, a number of members note that they use their L1 when they want to carry an unobtrusive street shooting camera, using the Oly 25mm pancake lens. I do that, and also I use an L1 with the Leica 14-150 if I'm hiking and don't want to carry a heavy load but do want to be able to capture almost anything. As long as you're shooting in daylight so you can live with low ISOs, the L1 IQ is excellent.

On the flip side, there are a number of folks who have older Oly DSLRs which don't have IBIS, that use one or both of the two Leica zooms that have ILIS. In particular there are a number of E-500's being used, with the Leica 14-50 mounted. A lot of us are very fond of the colors coming out of the E-500's Kodak sensor.

Finally, most folks don't know that the L1 is the only 4/3 DSLR that has a focus-confirm beep when manually focusing a legacy lens. If more people knew that, they'd be using an L1.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 7:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I also care (I have 2 of them)! Great photos.

I suspect that a lot of us L1 users have added a more up-to-date camera body (i.e. better at higher ISOs), which is probably an Oly DSLR since those accept the Leica 4/3 lenses. On the FourThirdsPhoto forum, a number of members note that they use their L1 when they want to carry an unobtrusive street shooting camera, using the Oly 25mm pancake lens. I do that, and also I use an L1 with the Leica 14-150 if I'm hiking and don't want to carry a heavy load but do want to be able to capture almost anything. As long as you're shooting in daylight so you can live with low ISOs, the L1 IQ is excellent.

On the flip side, there are a number of folks who have older Oly DSLRs which don't have IBIS, that use one or both of the two Leica zooms that have ILIS. In particular there are a number of E-500's being used, with the Leica 14-50 mounted. A lot of us are very fond of the colors coming out of the E-500's Kodak sensor.

Finally, most folks don't know that the L1 is the only 4/3 DSLR that has a focus-confirm beep when manually focusing a legacy lens. If more people knew that, they'd be using an L1.

Ted
That's interesting to know Ted. At one time I looked to pick up a used L1 on e-bay, but what few that would come up for sale were just too pricey. I'm trying to eventually get an Oly E30, so I stopped looking at the L1. If you ever want to give away one of your two L1 then give me a call.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 7:52 AM   #6

Steven, L1 bodies appear on Ebay from time to time but they are gobbled up pretty quickly. And I haven't looked in a while but I don't think you can get one for less than $300.

Ted
Old May 28, 2011, 10:18 AM   #7
JKA

Hi Ted,
I attempted to use my L1 prime lens 14-50 F2.8-F3.5 on the E500, I could not get the aperture ring to work. For your information. I setted the aperture to 'A' during the test. Can you help?

I am looking for a replacement camera body that can use the 14-50MM prime lens.

The E5 works fine with it but the cost is out of my range.

JKA
Old May 30, 2011, 9:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
Hi Ted,
I attempted to use my L1 prime lens 14-50 F2.8-F3.5 on the E500, I could not get the aperture ring to work. For your information. I setted the aperture to 'A' during the test. Can you help?

I am looking for a replacement camera body that can use the 14-50MM prime lens.

The E5 works fine with it but the cost is out of my range.

JKA
The aperture ring itself does indeed not work on any Oly DSLR. On 4/3 forums you'll see people say that that's because Oly didn't want it to, or even more absurd, that Panny found a way to detect if the lens was mounted on an Oly DSLR and then the lens automatically disables the aperture ring. All this proves is that many people will believe just about any conspiracy theory.

As far as I know, Oly DSLRs (including the E5) are simply not set up to accept that electronic input from any lens, because Oly never intended to put an aperture ring on any ZD lens. Actually, I suspect that aperture feedback from a lens to a camera is not part of the 4/3 standard.

HOWEVER, when you turn the aperture ring to A, the len's aperture (iris) itself acts just like any Oly ZD lens. Select the aperture you want from the camera's dial, and the lens will respond with that aperture just fine. Turn on the OIS on the lens and you will have the most ideal general lens for the E500. That lens is permanently mounted to my E500. When Popular Photography magazine tested that lens they said it was the best zoom in that focal range they had ever tested. When they tested the ZD 14-60 they said it was slightly better than the Leica, and they intended that to be very high praise.

Basically, I don't understand what you tested, and you need to try another test - use that lens as if it were a ZD lens and see what happens.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 30, 2011 at 9:40 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:08 AM   #9
JKA

Hi Ted,
After I mounted the lens on E500, I turned the dial on E500 to A and tried to set the aperture with the wheel but E500 not responding at all. I tried the auto focus it also not working.
The E500 was loaned from a friend. I asked my friend to check the firmware version, body and lens version are V1.0. If E500 updated to the latest body and lens firmware versions, it should work with my lens. I will give it another try.
JKA
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:38 PM   #10

Hmmm. That's indeed not normal behavior. There are lots of us who use that lens, with the Aperture ring on the lens turned to A, and find that it works really well with the E500 regardless of the mode dialed in on the E500.

Ted