Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #1

Default Out shooting yesterday (FZ47)

Sorry didn't realize I was in DSLR area!

Last edited by outofline99; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
outofline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:29 PM   #2

G'day ooL

You've got some beaut colours in the first 2 images - good use of the wide angle lens to show foreground thru to background

For #3-4-5, they seem to me to be conducive to a pano cropping treatment - lots of detail in the bottom half and empty top half ... have you thought about cropping any of them to concentrate our vision into the main area of the image?

Regards Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:47 PM   #3

Hadn't really thought about cropping but now that I look at them with that thought I can see where they might benefit!
Just cropped this to a 16:9, now the thirds rule is much better!

Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:51 PM   #4

G'day ooL

yes mate - the 16:9 format is a nice one for many things ... here's another below

You'll see that by cropping out the upper background that the main subject is now the point of eye contact

So - keep on shootin' and proudly show us your results

fwiw - I enjoy lots of panos of the world around us and I enjoy a 3:1 format lots of the time
Regards, Phil
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Nice crop, Ozzie. I do like 16:9 and I think with the new phones and tablets 16:9 may be better then 4:3. What do you think?
I would post more here but I don't have a Panny DSLR, I only have a Panny FZ35 and a FZ47 at the moment so i tend to stay in the Panny Leica forum but accidentally posted here with out realizing where I was!
Does this forum get much traffic and posts?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:21 PM   #6

G'day ooL

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofline99 View Post
Nice crop, Ozzie. I do like 16:9 and I think with the new phones and tablets 16:9 may be better then 4:3. What do you think?
I would post more here but I don't have a Panny DSLR, I only have a Panny FZ35 and a FZ47 at the moment so i tend to stay in the Panny Leica forum but accidentally posted here with out realizing where I was!
Does this forum get much traffic and posts?
I maybe a bit 'odd' here in that I don't care about 'which camera' or 'which lens' etc etc ... so I don't go chasing specific forums. I don't care which forum something is posted into - I go to "New Posts" and meander thru all the posts. ie- I am into 'photography' rather than 'camera' > see told you I'm a bit odd. I enjoy/like to see all the photographic efforts of members here, and we all have our little 'specialities'.

So to answer your Q "does this forum get much traffic?" ... I dunno mate > I don't go chasing it as a topic

As to 16:9 vs other formats > there are so many formats used every day for so many things ... original glass plates were 4" x 5" [4:5] then early roll film was 6cm x 9cm [2:3], then 35mm film became 24mm x 36mm [again 2:3] then the computer screen of 800px x 600px [4:3]. Sheets of paper could come into it if you like - international A2, A3, A4, A5 etc etc [all very close to 2:3] ... it all goes on

Photographically, I have for a long time abandoned the 'conventional' sizes when framing my prints [I do my own matt cutting] and use 2x large cardboard "L's" to best define & crop each image before inserting into a mount for the lounge room wall

Hope this wandering answer is okay ...
Regards, Phil