Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 PM   #1

Default Images too bright at default

Hi, I've just bought a used Lumix DMC-FZ18 and need to get used to it.

I realize that just doing stuff will familiarize me with it, but there are things that I don't understand.

The one thing I find is that the image is a bit on the bright side. Not a lot, more like a slight over-exposure (like film used to be - I'm not all that used to electronic cameras).

I can compensate in PShop, but would rather not have the problem in the first place. Most of my photo's will be scenes (nature, buildings etc., some people but not many). I use the default Scenery setting 90% of the time.

Can anyone suggest what I need to set (or do) in order to have the correct brightness?

Thanks - Ted
Tedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:01 PM   #2

Dial in -1E:-2/3EV or - 1/3 EV in settings, which will slightly under expose your pictures,which can be fixed later on but you can't recover overblowen highlights in PP.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:43 PM   #3

Dropped it back to 1/3 and will see how it goes tomorrow. Many of my shots are on trails so hopefully things will not be wet.

What's PP?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:57 PM   #4

PP is post processing,wherein you tweak and "fix' the pictures you have taken to correct them/better them.
Try the freely available Faststone Image Viewer (FSIV) and photo-resizer (also free),to fix the photos.PP skills have to be learnt,its not a big deal.

Good luck !
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:58 PM   #5

Its got to be minus 1/3 EV or more.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:51 AM   #6

I use Photoshop so am used to it. Stylepix is nice (free too), steep learning curve - more like Quantel than PShop.

Now that I figured out where the EV setting is, I just try several shots at different values. Suppose I could always use a polarizing filter, but some look too dark and online ones are difficult to tell what their shading is.

There are a lot of windows on this thing with different settings - will get used to it eventually. Found the Custom thing and I assume I can set up a type of shot, program it in and all the settings and lens position are held. Then just choose it later for those kinds of shots.

Not impressed with the lens on this one (really old one I had was great). I think the furthest position is wide angle and stuff starts bending.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:31 AM   #7

FZ 28/FZ35/38 have been excellent offerings from Panasonic,If you can get rid of the FZ18 the better. FZ150/FZ200 used refurbished would be even better,The latest FZ70 is covering 20mm-1200mm and is 'wow' for wildlife/birding and majestic panoramas.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:54 AM   #8

I got the FZ18 because I couldn't afford the later ones. It had good reviews for the time and the later ones got even better, but the cost was outside my meager budget

Still, it does a good job from what I've seen. Not been out today, things are a bit wet where I live. Did some messing about and the like indoors with it instead.

This isn't something I do all the time. I write a travel blog and maybe do a few posts a month at most. It's rare I use telephoto and personally don't like wide angle (too many iffy things happening).

Since all images are for the web and never printed, I have a bit of flexibility. My final image size is 400 X 300 pixels ('cuz it loads fast and does the job).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:58 PM   #9

It is good to know that you are very clear in your head about what exactly you want.This clarity of thought and purpose is a rare gift,cultivate it.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:49 PM   #10

Tedh- are your images a touch bright compared to a previous camera... or are you coming in with nothing to compare to...?
Make sure your metering mode is set correctly for what you're trying to shoot/obtain...(for general use use multi metering).
Failing that, dialling in a bit of negative exposure comp' would suffice- though Panny's tend to meter very accurately (the FZ18 was no exception) and I would be suprised if you had to do that frequently.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote