Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:34 PM   #1

Hi Steve

Thanks for news! Do you think its worth combining the Oly SLR forum with this into a 4/3 forum for both Oly and new Pana users ?

Regards the DMC L1 what's your personal take on the cam ? Will the Pana + Leica lens combo provide an edge over the Canon & Nikon slrs ? I had a quick look at a E330 and was suprised by its small size, the L1 looks a wee bit bigger to me.

Personally I think its fab news as I've always liked the LC1/D2 rangefinder look and I'm glad they even kept the little bounce flash. Just hoping they keep the price reasonable.

You can see a video and slide show of the L1 over at imaging - resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1140980195.html

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:38 PM   #2

i'll be looking forward to the review and of course, the retail price...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:45 PM   #3

Me too Roy. I'm waiting to see what the E330 review will be like as that should give an indication of what we can expect from the L1.

:O

Cheers

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4

Hello, this will sound like a complete newbie question and excuse my naivity but, what is a 4/3 system and how does that differ from all the other DSLRs such as nikon and canon? is it any better?

Also, I know leica have very good lenses (I wish I could afford one), will this 4/3 lens work with other DSLRs?

thank you for your help
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:41 PM   #5

and some pretty good pics and summary here too:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/re...lr_camera.html
Dave In LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:01 AM   #6

Wisely,

4/3 is a standard created to establish a standard so camera bodies and lenses from different manufacturers can be used together. Olympus and Kodak started it but many others have jumped onboard including Fuji and Panasonic.

from http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index_01.htm

"The Four Thirds system establishes a new common standard for digital cameras. Using a 4/3-type CCD or other image sensor, it will facilitate the development of dedicated digital camera lens systems for outstanding quality while also being smaller than their counterparts for 35 mm film SLRs. Furthermore, by creating a standard for camera body lens mounts, it lets photographers combine bodies and lenses from different manufacturers for a wider choice.

Olympus and Kodak created the Four Thirds System, a new standard for the next generation digital SLR camera system. Fuji Photo Film, MATSUSHITA ELECTRIC INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD., SANYO ELECTRIC CO., LTD., and SIGMA CORPORATION (in alphabetical order) participates in the standard."

wisely_foolish wrote:
Quote:
Hello, this will sound like a complete newbie question and excuse my naivity but, what is a 4/3 system and how does that differ from all the other DSLRs such as nikon and canon? is it any better?

Also, I know leica have very good lenses (I wish I could afford one), will this 4/3 lens work with other DSLRs?

thank you for your help
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Administrator

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve

Thanks for news! Do you think its worth combining the Oly SLR forum with this into a 4/3 forum for both Oly and new Pana users ?

Regards the DMC L1 what's your personal take on the cam ? Will the Pana + Leica lens combo provide an edge over the Canon & Nikon slrs ? I had a quick look at a E330 and was suprised by its small size, the L1 looks a wee bit bigger to me.

Personally I think its fab news as I've always liked the LC1/D2 rangefinder look and I'm glad they even kept the little bounce flash. Just hoping they keep the price reasonable.

I think we need to keep the forums seperated as many new people won't have a clue what a 4/3 anything is. I can't comment on anything I haven't seen or used but it should be an interesting addition to our list of DSLR cameras.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:55 AM   #8

Even thought the format is different can you usethe 'old' Leica'R' series lenses on the new Lumix reflex??

There are tens of thousands of thesereflex lenses out there waiting for a digital back to get them back in business.

I hope the backroom boys @ Leica & Panasonic thought of that.If they could't make the 'R' series work on this back, they design a back that will.

Max
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:24 AM   #9
Administrator

It's a different mount. So, they're not going to work without some kind of adapter (and I don't know if anyone makes one for them to use with a 4/3's system camera or not).

Leica does make a Digital Back for the R8 and R9 so that you can use one as a 35mm film camera or as a 10 Megapixel Digital Camera with the Digital Back installed. It's $5,950 at B&H

Leica Digital-Modul-R Digital Camera back for Leica R8 and R9 at B&H

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:43 PM   #10

Thanks , Jim,

That's what I was afraid of. For $5,950 I think I'd rather fly around the worlda few times with my old Leicaand a19mm Elmarit for the super wide shots+ my 'old' Kodak DX6490 for the x10 long.

The good thing out ofthe Panasonic/Lumixconnectionsees to be that Leica is still staying afloat in the photographics market while many long time Japanese greats have baled out

Max
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote