Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:56 PM   #1

I am a surprised to see this forum pop up so quickly! :shock: Is it a little to early for a Panasonic SLR forum? The L1 is still a prototype. Time will tell. Thanks, though. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Thanks,
Steven

Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Administrator

I don't think its too early, it's been announced, it's coming ... Why not hear what the people think about it ?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:44 AM   #3

I don't think it is too early either, I was looking for anyone to talk about the L1 couple days ago right after I read the article on PMA site, but I didn't see any. I think there were many people want to know more information and discussion about this exciting DSLR from Panasonic. I am looking to buy it as long as the price is not too high.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

i am a little concerned about the price as well..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:17 AM   #5

I would be surprised if the "body only" price was more than the Olympus E-330. It's the lens that'll pump the price up a little because of the image stabilization, but let's face it- this is no real Leica lens. If it was NO ONE in the intended market would be able to afford it. My world doesn't revolve around image stabilization andI already have a full set of E-series lenses: 14-54, 50-200 and 7-14. It's the body that interests me, depending on the price.

I know this pre-production model may evolve as far as controls/software and such, but I see many things, like a dedicated flash exposure compensation button, and the good location of other controls such as theadvance control switch around the shutter speed dial and release and the more squared off stylethat make me believe this will be a very good handling camera.

To me, live view (on either the Olympus E-330or this camera) is really useful for one thing- macro work when one wants to lock the mirror upyet still be able to compose the shot. If youNEED to use the live view for general shooting, you're still better off with a digicam.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:28 AM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
If youNEED to use the live view for general shooting, you're still better off with a digicam.
Not necessarily, Greg. The E-330 will give you much better high-ISO performance than most digicams, which may make it more appealing for street photographers.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7

True, my comments were slanted as tohow I would use those features- generally though, seems to methis camera (Panasonic)for most will be best used with the viewfinder, not the LCD. I can definitelysee the E-330 maybe being used more that way with the tilting LCD and being able to be shot from the waist or at weird angles up high or down low. The fact the 100% view is limited to manual focusing would put many off though.

Either would be a great camera to take to a place like the arboretum on a tripod or monopodfor closeup flower shots with mirror locked up and still being able to view the image. I would think, with the right accessories,these cameraswould be great used with a microscope too.Already having the FL50 I like the chances of using the built-in flash/FL50 in combination.

Anything that gets more interested is a plus.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:53 PM   #8

The reason I made my original comment is because I figured the L1 would be discussed in the main Panasonic forum. When the amount of L1 talk reached a certain level, then a Panasonic SLR forum wojuld be formed. But, I guess it is a easier to catch the L1 talk early instead of having to go back later and manually move lots of existing threads to this furom.

I am looking forward to see what the L1 offers. I have a Panasonic FZ1, FZ20, and LX1. So it would make since if I get the L1 as my first SLR (if it meets my needs, of course). :-) This Live view feature would be good for me. Because of my vision, I have trouble with viewfinders.

Enjoy life,
Steven

Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote