Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:48 AM   #11

No doubt, being situated up front within the grip area, the release on the E-330 looks more traditional for a digital SLR, if anything about DSLR's is old enough at this point to be termed "traditional", BUT, the release area on the Panasonic is not unique by any stretch and on the blockier body is probably fine. Actually,thePanasonic onthe wholevery much reminds me of a film classic I used to use and loved very much, a Konica Hexar AF. See here:

http://www.cameraquest.com/konhex.htm

That black button in the middle of the chrome dial is the shutter release, and it worked great- I have no doubt the form of the Panasonic will make the release location just fine, and with all those controls build around the shutter dial you'll be able to control many things without even having to take you eye from the finder.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:09 AM   #12

I think Panasonic has come up with a camera design whichwe "old timers" can feel comfortable with. I wonder how well this system will work with a CameraQuest lens adapter and some obsolete lens line like the MF Minoltas. That would certainly be right up the traditionalist's alley.

Seriously, I really like the look of this camera, like a new Mustang, or VW Beetle or Chevy HHR it appeals to a sense of nostalgia while still maintaining the modern features we want. This may truly be considered the first real Digital Leica which lives up to the name (that is as soon as they stamp the Leica name on it).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:32 AM   #13

I'm sure a Leica Digilux is a very nice camera, but it doesn't have a lens anythinglike this mounted on it:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1207184

I'm sure the 14-50 Leica lens will be extremely nice, but I think this new Panasonicwould be fun as heck to carry around with this lens mounted on it. I'm having a blast as itis on my E-1 right now.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:15 PM   #14

great design from panny! i just love it!
if the price is right i'm looking at a future purchase.

too bad they didn't put a tilting lcd. that would've been awesome.
not too sure about the shutter release button. it might have been more at hand if they designed it in the upper side of the hand grip.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote