Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1

I saw the announcement for the Panasonic L1.

To me, it looks like the Leica Digilux except the L1 has a detachable lens.

I don't quite get the rangefinder style viewfinder similar to the EVOLT.

Prefer through the lens (TTL) viewing).

Would be interesting to know the intended price for this camera.

If it's over $800 US dollars I'd say it's overpriced.

I noticed Leica is manufacturing a lens for this camera. Will it be mega dollars because it says Leica on it? Hmm.

All in all, a curious offering. I wonder if this camera will be iconoclastic or one for the masses?

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:28 AM   #2

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I don't quite get the rangefinder style viewfinder similar to the EVOLT.
Prefer through the lens (TTL) viewing).
Would be interesting to know the intended price for this camera.
If it's over $800 US dollars I'd say it's overpriced.
I noticed Leica is manufacturing a lens for this camera. Will it be mega dollars because it says Leica on it? Hmm.
Key word here is "rangefinder style." The outside may look like a rangefinder, but it is a true TTL camera--just as the EVOLT E-330 is (did you think the EVOLT wasn't??) :shock:.

That's what SLR means. In fact, the Panny's mirror box was jointly developed by Olympus and Panasonic, and is basically the same one that's on the E-330--same goes for the Live-MOS sensor. The major potential difference (I say potential since we haven't seen any production models yet) is the status of the LCD on the back. The one on the E-330 tilts, making it usable as a waist-held TLR (twin-lens reflex). The initial word on the Panny is that the LCD is fixed, which makes a curious model. Of course, with the Leica lens it will have Mega-OIS, which is attractive.

And even though the Leica lens will be built in Japan (at Fukushima) it will likely be rather expensive, yes.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3

I see.

So it looks like a rangefinder but it's actually a TTL viewfinder.

What is the advantage of that configuration, versus a typical viewfinder configuratin like you'd find on a Rebel XT for instance?

Any idea on price?

Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:40 PM   #4

The live view LCD system would not be easily accomodated in a body with a conventional prism see this page for diagrams of the system used in the Olympus E330, the Panasonic system should be similar. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../e330_pg2.html

This camera and the Olympus E330 represent a new system that has all of the DSLR advantages as well as one major digicam feature, a live LCD. As for the comparison with the Rebel XT, this camera offers far more flexibility with the live view technology, it has functionally the same resolution (7.5 to 8 is negligible), and is compatibility with all 4/3rd lenses from Olympus, Sigmaand now Leica. This Leica lens also has image stabilization and of course let's not forget the Panasonic has Olympus'supersonic wave filter and a great user interface (gotta love a shutter speed dial and an aperture ring). Canon makes excellent cameras but they are not the only show in town, also given the all metal body and Leica glass I would put this far ahead of the Rebel XT which has only burst speed and image noise at maximum ISO going for it.

I am not knocking Canon, I have said several times that the worst DSLR has image quality that is merely fantastic.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:10 PM   #5

I hear ya.

I guess it all comes down to price in the end.

My guess is that if it's pretty expensive, then it will be a niche player for those who crave an exotic DSLR.

-- Terry

Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:00 PM   #6

If it is "too expensive" you may be right. I hope the body is available without the lens at a reasonable cost, I know Leica glass is good but so is Olympus, and this body with an Oly lens would be a nice combo.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:36 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the shutter speed dial and aperture on the lens i really like.. i have always been a fan of the panasonic and leica collaboration.. if i didnt already have so much cash invested in canon i would think of buying one.. esp if i was going to stay in the focal range mostly of the leica lens.. to me it looks to be a superb street camera.. good focal length, great minimalistic style of body.. good combo for many purposes..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 1:27 AM   #8

Hi, everyone in this forum. I have read some articles and seen some pictures of this Panasonic L1, but I couldn't find the shutter button, would anyone tell me where is it located? Thanks.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:38 AM   #9

It's in the middle of the shutter speed control dial.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:39 PM   #10

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
It's in the middle of the shutter speed control dial.
Thanks, but I think it is hard to press since it is flat or inside.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote