Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:25 AM   #1

Some additional hands on shots of the L1 and also a side by side of the L1 and the Oly E330:

http://dpnow.com/2510b.html

The L1 looks a big beast, although not when its next to the E330. Lookign at the E330 and D Lecia I think it looks just as good as the L1+D Leica combo.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am just wondering...

the panasonic has to have an aperture selection method that doesnt involve using the one on the lens to be compatible with the zuiko lenses correct?

i hope this is easy to manipulate.. anyone know?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 2:16 AM   #3

Is it just my impression or the variety of 4/3 lenses is way smaller than that of Nikon, Canon or even Konica-Minolta mounts?
And, considering this, why would someone choose to buy a 4/3 system if that would seriously limit his/her lens choice(s)?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 8:10 AM   #4

Olympus actually have the largest range of "digital specific" lenses. Sigma are also realising more and mroe of their lenses with the 4/3 mount. Now with Panasonic/Leica joining up I can see a very nice range of lenses coming out. I think the 4/3 system is fantastic because it allows big companies to produce a huge range of lenses that everyone can use. Where-as canon, nikon and pentax only use "their" system.
RightyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 11:07 AM   #5

RightyInc, please check on ebay and see just how many lenses are for the nikon/canon mounts and how many for the 4/3... then we'll talk.
Old May 9, 2006, 8:27 PM   #6

ZYGH,

You're the onenot reading the response about DIGITAL SPECIFIC lenses. Sure, there's thousands of Nikkors and EF lenses...no, hundreds of thousands, but far fewer DX (Digital) Nikkors or EFS (Digital) Canon lenses...lenses designed with the digital sensors' size in mind. It's a marketing statement only by Olympus because all those designed-for-filmNikkors and EF lenseswork just fine in most cases even though Nikon and Canon make the same statements about digital specific lenses in promoting their own lines, but technically speaking, true, and Olympus has, in some cases, unique options IF you have the money. No doubt, today all those lenses are out there on eBay because Nikon owners now want lenses likethe 18-200 DX and many Canon owners now want lenses likethe 17-55 f2.8 EFS and 10-22 EFS.

Neither Canon nor Nikon have a lens that can touch the 7-14 Zuiko, in terms of coverage and distortion correction at such a wide angle,and even at $1,700 it sounds absolutelycheap compared to what you've gotta buy in Canon for instance, to get a 14mm lens -$8,000 for a1Ds and $2,000 for a14mm f2.8. The Sigma 12-24 will get you wider, but it's slower, not as well built and not nearly as well corrected. In other words, you really do get what you pay for. One other thing you need to take into consideration, especially with Canon,don't equate numbers of lenseswith quality. For every 70-200 f2.8IS or 24-70 f2.8Canon sells, they also offer equally REALLY bad lenses like the 28-80, 35-80,80-200 f4-5.6 and 75-300zooms and mediocre 70-300 f4-5.6 IS lenses. One thing you can say about Canon, they take everyuser/consumer into consideration, if you can't afford much, they make a lens for you (of course, with equal performance).

As to why someone would choose one system over another because of the number of available lenses, how many do you need? Do you buy lenses to take pictures or to tell someone how many lenses you own? The three Zuikos Iuse today (7-14, 14-54 and 50-200) get me from 14-400mm in 35mm equivalent settings. That's as wide a setup as I ever owned when I was usingmy last film body, a Canon EOS 3, ormy first digital SLR's, aDigital Rebel and 10D.Could I have owned a wider setup? Of course. Did I need to? No.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 4:10 AM   #7

Greg, I understand your point. Speaking about digital orientated lenses only, it may well be that 4/3 has the upper hand. Still, I was refering exactly to the point you made about there being (at least) a lens for everyonefor Nikon and Canon owners. I'm sure in due time Zuiko, Leica, Sigma and whoever will jumpthe 4/3 boat will make up for the handicap but for the time being the fact remains that for Nikon/Canon/K-M there is a lens for everybudget, and that is what I appreciate. I can't spend the kind of sums you mentioned for a lens, it is simply over my head. I prefer my Sigma 18-200mm. Sure, if I had the money I would get the Nikkor 18-200 VR and the Sigma 10-20 but right now I'll have to stick with what I have. My point is that when 4/3 is involved, one cannot begin shooting without spending more than 1000$ (to give just an approximate optimist example). That's all I had to say, I was not disputing anything else.

Hope you didn't take any offense in my previous post. That was not my intention.

Cheers!
Old May 10, 2006, 9:44 AM   #8

When I was looking into buying my first digital SLR, I already had my Canon 35mm outfit and it only made sense I should buy a Canon DSLR, but the camera I really liked best was the E-1. Unfortunately, at that point the body only was $2,000 so I just went with a Digital Rebel & later bought a 10D when those prices went down. I had some very good optics at the time I sold my Canon outfit, a 17-40 f4 and 100-400 IS, 85mm f1.8,so when the E-1 prices came down I had plenty of cash after selling the EOS stuff- one thing you have to say about the higher-endCanon equipment, it holds it's value very well. With the proceeds I was able to buy everything I own today with the exception of that 7-14 zoom, which Ibought only after getting a nice, unexpected bonus this past January. Otherwise, I would still be saving for it.

The two consumer lenses Olympus nowsells with their E-500 outfit, the 14-45 and 40-150 zooms, are very, very good optically and they have a very sharpbudget macro, the 35mm f3.5, so someone looking atOlympus or Panasonic'supcoming DSLRtoday does have an economic option compared to the prosumer or pro line of lenses- something they didn't always offer.A two-lens E-500 option plus the 35mm macro, bought togetheronline at B&H, costs$1,009 and gets you a 35mm equivalent focal length spread from 28-300mm plus macro, amazing considering the first digital SLR I bought only 3 years ago, the Digital Rebel with the 18-55 EFS lens, cost me $999.

Sigma is about to introduce a number of their current, very popular lenses in Olympus E-mount. I know many E users that arewaiting in anticipationfor the 30mm f1.4, 50-500 and the 105 and 150mm macro primes, but to be honest, back when I owned my Canon outfit I never even considered a third-party lens (especially Sigma)and wouldn't today if they were all available in the Olympus mount.OEM lenses todayfrom any manufacturer are, in my experience (I have owned one or two third party lensesin the distant past),worth whatever premium you have to pay over a third-party equivalent.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:48 AM   #9

Actually, more good lenses can be fitted to the Olympus 4/3 system than any other system, because of the short flange to focal plane distance, it's quite easy to adapt lenses from other mounts (with manual focus and stopped down metering) to use on the Olympus cameras, and of course, also the DMC-L1.

In addition to Olympus Digital Specific lenses, I also use Olympus OM-mount lenses, Pentax M42 screw mount lenses (a great 50mm f1.4), and Nikon F-mount lenses, including a used 300mm f2.8 that I bought used for for well under $400. The 4/3 system actually supports old Nikon AI/AIS glass better than does the Nikon system for any Nikon digital camera below the D200, these lenses won't meter, while in 4/3, they meter in aperture priority and manual modes just fine. In practice, stopped down metering in aperture priority mode is a piece of cake, and very fast.

Manual focusing can be more of an issue, but I use a Katz-eye focusing screen that makes it a snap.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 3:40 AM   #10

Greg, do you have a few 14mm, super wide angle shots you could show us?

Before investing in a digital SLR lens systemsuper wide performances arewhat I'm really interested in. Converters on superzoom 10x-12x cameras are just that - converters and you get what you pay for.

Thanks

Max
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote