Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:23 AM   #91

I guess the closest I can get with my Minolta is the Sigma 10-20 lens. Hopefully Sony will release a similar super wide-angle Zeiss lens.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:38 AM   #92

That's getting pretty close. Sigma makes some decent glass. The 7-14 Olympus is no cheap lens...it's around $1,700 most places that have it. Up close the lens will give a super-wide angle effect, but the reason for the high price is distortion, the bowed lines you see with so many super-wides, is non-existant with this lens. Corrected 14mm lenses are not cheap. I used to shoot Canon, butI would have had to buy a full-frame DSLR and pay over $2,000 for the 14mm f2.8Lto get that with them, of course without the versatility of a zoom, making the Olympus lens a pretty good optionfor me. Sigma's 12-24 would be wider on a full-frame body, but you've got to pay for the full-frame body and then buy anddeal with a cheaper butless corrected lens.

St. Etienne Du MontCathedral- Paris, France
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:47 AM   #93

Since you havea multiplication factor of 2x vs. 1.5x on the KM5D your 7-14 lens is almost the exact equivalent to the Sigma 10-20 on my KM5D. And the Sigma runs only about $450. From what I have seen, the lines are also pretty straight and not bowed. So, I think I am going to get it when I have some loose change.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:51 PM   #94

Hmm, interesting price. At the end of the day its the image that counts. For that cost, the lens is going to have to be darn good for sure as is the noise levels. Some might need to go through the history of the two companies here (Panasonic and Leica) as well and see who makes what and where they end up.

As for wide angle lenses, well thats subjective to what you want. What the heck would I do with one :-).

4/3 appeals to some for what they can get out of the system, optics wise and add in image stabilisation on good optics............interesting :-). The end result is what matters.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 8:08 PM   #95

Hi Danny

Well said mate, just spot on

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:23 AM   #96
Administrator

It's beginning to look like this camera isn't intended to be mass marketed.

I'm seeing rumors (and I stress the word rumors) that production will only be around 3000 cameras/month (as compared to around 80,000/month for a model like the Sony Alpha 100).

If true (and it's only hearsay), then they should be able to sell that many easily. A lot of people will like the retro styling and want the stabilized Leica lens.

So, it may end up being a "Flagship" type of product like the DMC-LC1, versus one designed to attract the masses in the fiercely competive entry level DSLR market.

But, then again, you never know about these things. Chances are, it will be a very high quality lens, and a lot of people are willing to pay more to get a quality product.

I can imagine that they've done a lot of market research before deciding on things like pricing and production levels. We'll just have to wait and see how well received it is, and how much market share they intend to get with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:07 PM   #97

Hi Jim

Any idea or a wee hint when Steve and yourself will be testing the L1 and the Alpha 100 +CZ lens ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:42 PM   #98

so, because the lens is 4/3, will it be able to fit onto the e-500?

will it be possible to buy the lens seperate from the dmc-l1 body?

thanks.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:48 PM   #99
Administrator

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jim

Any idea or a wee hint when Steve and yourself will be testing the L1 and the Alpha 100 +CZ lens ?
I'm only a moderator, not a reviewer. ;-)

Nope... I don't know when Steve will review these models. I do know that the preproduction camera was sent back to Sony and Steve is waiting on a production camera for full review. He decided not to publish photos from the existing camera, and wants to wait on one from the production line instead. But, I haven't checked to see what time frame to expect yet. BTW, this camera will be shipping beginning this week in Canada, and later this month in the U.S. and elsewhere. The Zeiss lens won't be available until later this year, though.

As for the Panasonic, I haven't checked. But, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, as it's likely going to be a little while before they're rolling off the assembly line after final "tweaks".

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:20 AM   #100

Photov

Yep, the Leica D can be used with any 4/3 camera that Oly currently has made. You also get IS but only in mode 1. I'd say for the first few months the D leica will be available only as part fo the kit - Pana have stated this already but at a later stage it will be sold seperately. Now looking at some new pics on that lens I don;t think its going to be cheap at all - its considerably bigger than than the Oly 14-54 (f2.8-3.5 62mm) which retails for around £300-400 and the D Leica has a diameter of 72mm, so that's be a whole new bunch of expensive filters to get too. Well, at least they didn;t go for the crazy 69mm filter size like the LC1's.

here's a shot of the Leica D on an E500

Cheers

HArj