Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:40 AM   #101

i really wanted to buy this camera but for the same money i can get

an E330,a 50-200 and a 35 mm macro.even having the extra money

thats a hard bite to swallow.

charli
charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:18 AM   #102

charli wrote:
Quote:
i really wanted to buy this camera but for the same money i can get

an E330,a 50-200 and a 35 mm macro.even having the extra money

thats a hard bite to swallow.

charli
Or the Sony A100 with the Tamron 28-300, and you'd have almost a grand left.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:30 AM   #103

Charlie

You could get the E330+14-54mm (f2.8-3.5)+50-200 (f2.8-3.5) and still have some wee spare change for the price of the L1.

Rainer, you do have a very valid point on the alpha and the tamron. The only thing the Oly really misses is OIS/VR/SSS which I think theyre relying on Pana to provide.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:26 AM   #104

I think theres been some way to negative comment here about LC-1 L1 and the rest.
In the big picture view, I dont think we have seen a half of what is coming. Consider that in the digicam market, you would have to agree that Olympus, Leica, Panasonic and lesser providers. They may have at some point been No1, but thats not the scorecard at the moment.

The L1 as a case in point, is not meant to compete with Nikon or Canon. The LC-1 was a trial run for the L1 concept. Just try to find an LC-1 at any price now, and tell me it compares with any other 5Mp camera. Is it fair to say that, the Panasonic version is more desirable than the Leica?

Its ok to see a technical specification of a number of cameras and to say to yourself THAT is the best! But photographers of all people would know there is romance in their machinery, that equates to more than the sum of the parts. Could it be that this is what pana are selling in L1, the intangible, and the esoteric; and have they seen some success with that?

Myself, I like to think that Pana Oly and Leica are rescuing themselves from the 'front line' manufacturers, and make no mistake both Canon and Nikon are manufacturer and marketing houses. Broadly, alone they cant really compete, but sharing their technical capitol they have a better than even chance. The LC-1 is a case in point, because really it was a better technical success than the Leica. The experience of an electronics manufacture of the standing of pana has a lot to say about that. But where would they have been without the technology that Leica brought to the table, and there was more.

People saw in the addition of the Leica badge, the recovery of the status of this photographic giant, a history that goes beyond years and that trades every day well beyond the Nikons and the Canons. When Oly bought into the 4/3 strategy I think everyone took a breath and wondered what was happening. And just some of thought about what would happen next.

It will be some time coming but, we havnt seen the breadth of what this relationship has to offer. If it where just Panasonic and Leica it might be easier to guage, but the inclusion of Olympus suggests to me that big things are on the table and we little people will just have to wait and see what develops. Personally Im sitting on pins to see what happens next....

riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:13 PM   #105

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
I think theres been some way to negative comment here about LC-1 L1 and the rest.
In the big picture view, I dont think we have seen a half of what is coming. Consider that in the digicam market, you would have to agree that Olympus, Leica, Panasonic and lesser providers. They may have at some point been No1, but thats not the scorecard at the moment.

The L1 as a case in point, is not meant to compete with Nikon or Canon. The LC-1 was a trial run for the L1 concept. Just try to find an LC-1 at any price now, and tell me it compares with any other 5Mp camera. Is it fair to say that, the Panasonic version is more desirable than the Leica?

Its ok to see a technical specification of a number of cameras and to say to yourself THAT is the best! But photographers of all people would know there is romance in their machinery, that equates to more than the sum of the parts. Could it be that this is what pana are selling in L1, the intangible, and the esoteric; and have they seen some success with that?

Myself, I like to think that Pana Oly and Leica are rescuing themselves from the 'front line' manufacturers, and make no mistake both Canon and Nikon are manufacturer and marketing houses. Broadly, alone they cant really compete, but sharing their technical capitol they have a better than even chance. The LC-1 is a case in point, because really it was a better technical success than the Leica. The experience of an electronics manufacture of the standing of pana has a lot to say about that. But where would they have been without the technology that Leica brought to the table, and there was more.

People saw in the addition of the Leica badge, the recovery of the status of this photographic giant, a history that goes beyond years and that trades every day well beyond the Nikons and the Canons. When Oly bought into the 4/3 strategy I think everyone took a breath and wondered what was happening. And just some of thought about what would happen next.

It will be some time coming but, we havnt seen the breadth of what this relationship has to offer. If it where just Panasonic and Leica it might be easier to guage, but the inclusion of Olympus suggests to me that big things are on the table and we little people will just have to wait and see what develops. Personally Im sitting on pins to see what happens next....

riley

If themajority of the comments are way too negative and it includes the people who wanted this product to be other than negative that should tell you something.

How can you state that "The L1 as a case in point, is not meant to compete with Nikon or Canon" as if it is indeed a fact? Certainly you are entitled to your point of view, but isn't thatstretchingreality to the point of surrealism?

Yes.... you hit it on the head.... Panasonic is selling romance.... the trouble is no one's buying.

Contrary to yourself, I like to think that Panasonicattempted to rescuethemselves from themselves, but have surrounded themselves with themselves.

It will be some time coming but, we have seen the best Panasonic has to offer. This is it, the whole story... there is no sequel. Thank heavens for the sanity of the little people.Personally I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to see what the next post is....while I take pictures with my Canon.

Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:14 PM   #106

I assume little of this cameras position in the market
Most surely, to take on the canons and the nikons of this world you would emulate much of the detail, where instead of this, Panasonic (and others) went some other road. An electronics giant like panasonic would know all this.

hence 4/3
hence Olympus componentry
hence popup bounce flash
hence live view
hence the manual camera with auto functions
hence the very different, nee individual look
hence large LCD when such things were uncommon

Stated more clearly, you couldnt make a camera more different than a Canon if you tried...could you. Why on earth would you make a camera with a manual dominance in an auto everything world? when clearly the market is all auto, reason: this camera was never meant for everyone. Indeed 'average' shutterbugs probably cant handle manual machines. Therefore you should expect low production runs, for which there is a price premium. It will always be comparitively expensive, that is not to say it is not a success.

too see this position as otherwise is simply baffling
I mean, if you want a better canon, buy a better canon, isnt that obvious. Thats why Canon have a broad range of models, there will always be a Canon for a little more money than you have to spend. If the injection moulders need to work more overtime to suffice the demand, bring it on! More power to them! That is the well understood science of marketing, and the scope of the system.

If your idea of a vibrant healthy camera market is all about canon clones, of course you will be disappointed. And if a cartel of manufacturers in a world of sameness, dares to be different either for the sake of it or otherwise, why would you care.

have fun with your 'canon'

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote