Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:47 AM   #41

Hi Jim

Regards the Carl Ziess lens 16-80 is that possibly the same lens as in the R1, although its a wee bit slower at the wide end ? Will the 85mm f1.4 CZ be better than the Minolta f1.4 esp as the CZ will be costing some serious $$$? I'm quiet pleasantly suprised by the size of the Alpha - smaller than the D70 and 30D.

I've been wondering whether the alpha's annoucement with a whole set of lenses and accessories whether we will see additional lenses from Panaleica being announced by its launch date ? I've also noticed that the Zukio lenses can be quiet a bit more expensive compared to the equivalent APS-C lens.

Personally I will be more than happy to work with the L1's 14-50 or for the Alpha the CZ's 16-80 and possibly a single fast prime lens for portrait work.

Cheers

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:02 AM   #42
Administrator

Nope. The new 16-80mm is a different lens design.

The lens on the DSC-R1 is a 14.3-71.5mm lens with a "fly by wire" focus ring, designed specifically for the DSC-R1, without the constraints of a lens mount system since it's permanently attached.

The R1 is using a smaller sensor compared to the new Alpha, too (although it's larger than the sensor used in the 4/3 system models)

As for the new 85mm, it will most likely be a very nice lens (it had better be for the price). lol

I should have bought a Minolta 85mm f/1.4 when I had the chance to get one cheap. The prices have gone up considerably for that lens.

I saw two of them go through the used department at Keh.com for only $310 last year. I came close to buying one, but I decided to hold off and get a Minolta 100mm f/2 instead (since the Minolta 100mm f/2 tests sharper at all apertures compared to the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G, according to MTF tests at http://www.photodo.com ). Of course, the 100mm f/2 doesn't get f/1.4. lol The 100mm f/2 was actually much harder to find (it doesn't show up as often on the used market.

In hindsight, I should have bought one (or both) of the 85s (if for no other reason, then to resell one later). lol 85mm would have probably been a more useful focal length for me anyway compared to the 100mm. But, the 100mm f/2 is a sweet lens if you've got the room to use it.

As for more lens announcements for the 4/3 system, your guess is as good as mine. The lens lineup is shaping up to be better than I expected from a new system so soon.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:39 PM   #43

Well, Sony has definetely put things into another perspective with its release of the A100, pricewise, I mean. I can't see many folks wanting to get into 4/3 with Panny's L1 now, for the price you guys have said the L1 would sell for.
Since I have a thing against overpriced products, that only makes me more content. The L1 will have to adjust, or be left in obscurity, just like the LC1.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:57 PM   #44

Yo, Panasonic, listen up. Other folks are working on stuff too. :O?

That Alpha caught my attention.

Boy, I'm glad I don't shoot many pictures. I'd probably buy something in a rush and may not like it later (as wellas Iwouldsomething elsecoming down the pike).

At any rate I will wait just to see what Panasonic is going to do about all this stuff. Of course I may want to commit suicide later for waiting so long but... :|

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:19 PM   #45

I'm going to sit tight and wait. Sony's release of the Alpha will shake things up a bit for all of the camera manufacturers especially for Pana as it offers everything the DMC-L1 has - IS but for every lens, anti dust and a whole range of lenses including those three CZ lenses. The more I look at the L1, its overall design, descreet looks the more I realise that it is the cam for me, but I'm not willing to pay any price for it especially with what the Sony has to offer. I'm sure the Alpha + CZ 16-80 AF would produce some stunning images and as good as the L1+Leica D and that would be good enough for me.

Cheers

HarjTT

:idea:

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:01 PM   #46

That sure makes sense to me.

Yup, I imagine Panasonic is doing the pens and needles routine long about now.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:54 PM   #47

do you guys think the L1 will carry D200 ,30D price tag.

will anyone duy at 1800 USD.
charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:29 PM   #48

We've been kicking this one around the past few days Charli and given the variables now that the other players have jumped in it does seem less likely, in my opinion, for Panasonic to ask close to$2,000 dollarswith the lens.

As HarjTT says, the L1 has captured my imagination but if the L1 sells for the above price and offers very little to offset the Sony Alpha,the live-view notwithstanding, then I know where I'm going with my dollars.

Now obviouslythis is speculation on my part but if Panasonic can't afford to lower the price less than, say, $1,800 with the lens, because of monies already invested in the R&D portion of it thenwill they add another$50 dollars in improvements to justify that price tagin the hope of attracting customers for that$50 dollar improvement, what ever it may be,or do they not add anything and keep the price where it is in the hope somehow it will attract some to it simply because of the appealing look of the camera, even if the Alpha has as much as the L1 may have. To me, if the L1 sells for that $1,800 then it surely will have to have somethingabove the current participants.

Unrelated comment: I used the italics button to emphasize, now I can't get rid of it. I'm sure there is a simple solution. Help please.:-)
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:32 PM   #49
Administrator

It's a competitive market, and I doubt the production model will be very different than the prototypes already shown to reviewers.

So, it gets down to firmware and pricing. Is a Panasonic L1 (with shared components with the Oly E-330) worth what they want for it, considering the new lens? We'll have to wait and see.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:54 PM   #50

Yeah, I think Sony outsmarted Panasonic in this round by acquiring the wealth of expertise and experience from KM and thus being able todebut a DSLR that has had a long history under the KM brand, with in-camera stabilization, 10 MP, a larger CCD at a lower price point than Panasonic's firstentryinto the DSLR market. I, for one, will upgrade from my KM5D to a Sony and keep my lens assortment. I am in no rush though;that KM5D is one fine camera.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote