Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:44 PM   #81

I for one have my eyes on the new Sony A100 which includes in-camera image stabilization and CCD cleaning. I can use all the lenses I bought for my KM5D (which still serves me perfectly and I am in no rush to upgrade)and I'd still have $1000 to spare to get any state-of-the art lens I wanted to,. However, I don't think I can much improve on my current collection. I ran quite a few comparisons of my existing Minolta (and 3rd party lenses) and while the Leica lens on my (now sold) FZ30 could certainly hold its own, it did not outshine even my cheapTamron 28-300 XR lens (on sale for $149). I cannot see why anyone would get the L1 at that price point.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:56 AM   #82

I'm gonna buy all theL1s I can for 2000 and then sell them onEBay2500.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:46 PM   #83

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I'm gonna buy all theL1s I can for 2000 and then sell them onEBay2500.
Hey, that was my business plan. Gonna make Donald Trump make like a big old LOSER.

:blah:
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:45 PM   #84

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:

If there is an EOS 30Downer in the house and you didn't buy the cheaper 18-55 lens with the initial purchase, what did the total package cost you with the camera; assuming the 30D body was $1,400dollars a few weeks ago?
I got mine within 1 month of its availability in US and I paid $1280 with 2 days delivery from what I remember. Body only. Could have got for $1250 at robert's but is was back ordered.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:09 PM   #85

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I for one have my eyes on the new Sony A100 which includes in-camera image stabilization and CCD cleaning. I can use all the lenses I bought for my KM5D (which still serves me perfectly and I am in no rush to upgrade)and I'd still have $1000 to spare to get any state-of-the art lens I wanted to,. However, I don't think I can much improve on my current collection. I ran quite a few comparisons of my existing Minolta (and 3rd party lenses) and while the Leica lens on my (now sold) FZ30 could certainly hold its own, it did not outshine even my cheapTamron 28-300 XR lens (on sale for $149). I cannot see why anyone would get the L1 at that price point.

Rainer

Rduve,

You may not compare Leica lens on FZ 30 to your Tamron on your D5D. The sensor of FZ 30 is so tiny compared to D5D sensor. Therefore, FZ30 sensor well saturation also much smaller than D5D sensor. Furthermore, the dynamic range and color rendetion of your KM5D is far better than your fluzi though you attach the worse lens on your D5D.

For those who questioning the price tag of L1, you can evaluate the MTF plot released by Panasonic. I only found 2 lenses which are comparable to L1 kit with the same range and relatively equal brightness. They are Zuiko EZ 14-54 and Nikkor ED 17-55/2.8 DX. Both are weathersealed and have no IS.

The precision of the optics also contributes the price tag. Canon, the largest lenses manufacturer, says that the shape precision of its molded aspherical lenses is at less than 0.3 micron. Molded aspherical elements are only used by middle to top grade lenses.

Leica D 14-50 has 2 dual sided aspherical elements with shape precision 0.1 micron. Thus, this "0.1 micron precision" compared to "less than 0.3 micron precision" you can find at L lenses, how much the proper price for this L1 kit lens ?

For myself, I won't drain my wallet to afford L1. I already have the underrated E300 coupled with Zuiko 14-54. I am so proud with my zuiko when comparing its results to the much higher priced lenses owned by my friends.

Cheers
Sorry for the typo and my poor English.
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:04 PM   #86

You may be right, zoegy73. However, I will have to see some reviews and samples before being seriously interested in spending that much extra to move over into a totally new system, now that I have built up my collection of Minolta lenses. I am sure Sony will have an answer to that superior Leica lens, and they won't have to build the costly IS into the lens, because it is already in the camera. Plus, the APS-C sized sensor is larger than the 4/3's system, so I just don't see how that price is justified. To me, the in-camera IS is the strongest selling point because it saves you so much on the lenses, and I guarantee you for the $1000 that one would be saving on the A100 vs. the L1, Sony should be able to create a superb lens. I am very curious to seesome comparisons between the Leica and let's say the KM28-75 f/2.8. I am interested in real life shots, not lab tests or micron counts. If the Leica simply has no equal, then and only then will it make sense for some purists to get the L1. Other than that, I just don't see how it is being marketed to the semi-pro market when it doesn't clearly have a leg up over other entry-level DSLR's, such as my KM5D.

Rainer

Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:27 PM   #87

Rainer,

You don't need to upgrade the body. KM D5D is excellent tool. You just need to save your pennies and collect Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5 and SAL 70-200/2.8 G SSM in future :-)

That's what I did. I still keep my bricky E-300 but I saved my money and now I am very happy with EZ 14-54/2.8-3.5, ED 50-200/2.8-3.5, and 35/3.5 macro :|

DSLR bodies come and go, but excellent lenses are your eternal marriages

(ps. I am still dreaming ED 35-100/2.0 :angry:. Beware of LBA disease:!
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:27 PM   #88

zoegy73 wrote:
Quote:
(ps. I am still dreaming ED 35-100/2.0 :angry:. Beware of LBA disease:!
After getting the 35-100/2, you need to pick up the other lens no one else has anything to compare to, the 7-14 zoom.

attached image: Tomb of Joseph Napoleon, Invalides, Paris
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:59 PM   #89

Wow, Greg, I never knew such lens existed.

Rainer
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:15 AM   #90

This existance of thislens is THE reason I now shoot with Olympus DSLR's.

Ceiling- Hall of Mirrors- Versailles, France
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote