Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:41 PM   #1

I just want to say that I've not found a firm price for the L1, But I can deduce the probable price of between $1350 - $1700. I base this on an interview that LetsGoDigital did with a couple of Panasonic Executives at the PMA in Orlando. They said in the interview that they're targeting the Canon 30D and Nikon 200D with the L1. The full interview is found at - http://letsgodigital.org/en/news/art...tory_6783.html
Right now the 30D is priced around $1400 and the 200D around $1700. Hence the general price range stated above. Hopefully it'll be at the low end.
Dliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:08 AM   #2
Super Moderator

too high... hopefully that price includes the leica branded lens... but i HIGHLY doubt it..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:00 AM   #3

If that is price is body only it's definitely too high for my budget. Even with a Leica lens it's pretty steep.

Since there are so many good DSLRs for under $1,000 I thought Panny might introduce their first DSLR in that market and get the FZ20 and FZ30 owners to upgrade.

I'll wait and see, but it looks like I may be getting a Canon or Nikon when I upgrade.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:42 PM   #4

From what I've managed to work out from what Panasonic have already said is:

1. The L1 will be sold as a kit initially
2. The lens is compatible and will work with the OLY E range, although the aperture ring won;t work until Oly releases a firmware update to their cams.
3. They're pitching the cam inbetween the Canon 30D + Nikon D200So as Dliver's stated in his post this means we'll be looking at a price point of $1400 -1700 USD but hopefully that should include the D 14-55mm lens. I'm hoping it will be less than $1400USD including the lens but I kind of doubt it.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:16 PM   #5

Doubt they will include the lens at that price. If it has the same high ISO image qualities as the Oly, I don't think it can compete with the 30D and D200. It may be a low selling camera sought after by Panny lovers and not noticed by the mass market.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:05 AM   #6

At the end of the day, the camera is a box and most of the boxes are the same. Its refreshing to see a different unique shape and have different features for a change. That might help sell the "Box".

I can't imagine anyone seeing shots taken from lets say, A Canon 30D, a Nikon D200 and a Panasonic L1, being able to tell the difference in a print. A reviewer might zoom in 20 - 30x to see noise and defects. Do these defects really show in a print when compared side by side. If 5 shots are laid down side by side, could someone tell what took what ?? Lets even throw in the Sony R1 in there as well.

So IMHO, it comes down to glass and optics along with the sensor size. Thats where the quality is determined. So if thelens takes near perfect shots with good res, it can be any brand, then we have a winner. What factory it comes out of and who makes the coatings or optics, doesn't really come into it IMO. The name stamped on it, is only a name.

If that particular lensis superb, then its awinner.Nice to have apertures on the lens for a change for the old farts like me, that really appeals and the simple layout helps, IMHO.

All the best and its an interesting beast :-)

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:09 AM   #7

BTW, Hendrix rocks M8t :-) . Nice to see you still plugged in there Nooner :-)

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:00 PM   #8

Hey Danny. Still have my FZ1v2 and keep an eye on what Panny's up to. See you around M8t
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:36 PM   #9

i reckon the best price for this aparatus would be in the range of 700$-1000$. i think anything greater than that and panny will soon find the l1 a real problem on their hands as no-one excluding panny fans would ever approach their product. in this respect i agree to previous posts.
being a realist, though, i agree even further with those who wrote that this dslr will probably be sold for more than 1200$. only time will tell but let me tell you - as one who in the near future will make the leap from prosumer to dslr - i will probably go for a konica minolta for it is all that machine for the lesser buck.
i currently own a panny fz30 and, somehow nostalgic, i kinda hope that panny strategists will know their asses from their mouths when it comes to pricing the "box".
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:27 PM   #10

A lot of former Panny UZ users went with KM. I did. AS rocks