Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:39 AM   #1

I had assumed that all the lenses that we'd see for the L1 would have IS built into them like the D14-50 but after reading the interview on Letsgodigital.org I noticed this little tidbit from:

4). Question: Can we expect more lenses of Leica/Panasonic with Mega O.I.S? Answer: Of course the new Leica D lens is a very interesting lens and it is to be expected that more lenses will follow. However, it has yet to be decided which kind of lenses will be developed and with what kind of specifications. It will not be necessary to develop every lens with O.I.S on board. For some lenses image stabilization is not necessary and will only add more costs to the development.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_6783.html

Now would that mean we will see some fast prime wide angle lenses which (i) cover a lens focal length that Olympus zukio lenses dont; cover and (ii) that are hopefully reasonable in price?

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 2:41 PM   #2

This post still has no answers... well 2 were announced but recalled I think
Now we see rumors that Panasonci will make lens for Oly bodies w/o IS

I think we may see in camera IS, and lens will be a bit cheaper?

http://www.dcviews.com/lenses/Olympus-comp-lenses.htm
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3

Of course, we know there's already one lens in the Leica 25mm f1.4 that does not have Mega OIS, but you never would have expected a prime like that to. I have a feeling Olympus' in-camera image stabilization ishaving an impact in the thinking process of the people who run things in the digital SLR section at Panasonic. I don't think the Panasonic bodies alone will ever be out therein large enough numbers to sustain even a limited line of intechangeable lenses... even using the Leica name, and Ihave a feelingthey know that too.

BTW, HarjTT,I amkind doing things justthe opposite way you did. I started with an E-1, but I amplaying around these days with a Panasonic FZ50 and DMW-LW55 wide angle converter and having a lot of fun..
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 6:36 PM   #4

Hi Greg

Hey now thats cool - I still have a blast with the Fz10 and my Oly WCON8B _ I still get amazed how good the FZ's - IQ (as long as you stay to ISo200). I also had a play around with my brother-in-laws FZ30 and its a fine camera - the layout/ergonomics of it remind me of the E1. Now if they could just pop in a slightly larger sensor and make that lens a wee bit faster and bigger - i'd grab one! What happend to the Oly super zoom?

Bye the way, how good are the shots with the LW55 - barrel distortion mainly and a wee shot or two would be lovely to see ?

Regards the lens line up - I still don't understand why the 50-150 is a f3.5-5.6 lens when it should easily be a 50-150 f2.8. It would be just prefect with any lens combo -14-54Zd/14-50/12-60ZD.

HarjTT

:O :?

Old May 25, 2007, 10:03 PM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Hey now thats cool - I still have a blast with the Fz10 and my Oly WCON8B _ I still get amazed how good the FZ's - IQ (as long as you stay to ISo200). I also had a play around with my brother-in-laws FZ30 and its a fine camera - the layout/ergonomics of it remind me of the E1. Now if they could just pop in a slightly larger sensor and make that lens a wee bit faster and bigger - i'd grab one! What happend to the Oly super zoom?

Bye the way, how good are the shots with the LW55 - barrel distortion mainly and a wee shot or two would be lovely to see ?

Regards the lens line up - I still don't understand why the 50-150 is a f3.5-5.6 lens when it should easily be a 50-150 f2.8. It would be just prefect with any lens combo -14-54Zd/14-50/12-60ZD.

HarjTT

Hi HarjTT,

I still have the SP550, and it will still see action, especially if I want/need to do some of those high speed layered shots I did earlier. The FZ50 is just way too cool with the image quality, no lens changing, live histogram in the finder, actual preview in the finder of the image at the current settings,and ability to use my Olympus FL50 in TTL mode at all shutter speeds with no FP Flash needed since there's no traditionalshutter.

Regarding the DMW-LW55, the creator of PTLens has a profile for the FZ50/DMW-LW55, so you can pretty much remove all distortion. Take a look at these examples...

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:12 AM   #6

Hi Greg

The pics from the FZ50 really just seem to pop straight out at you - something that I always found with the FZ10. The FZ50 looks to be even better.

Cheers

Harj