Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:51 PM   #1

"Following hard on the heels of Sony's alpha DSLR-A100, Panasonic will take the wraps of its first D-SLR on June 21 in Tokyo, the company just said.""TLW" started a thread on the panasonic digicam forum that was stating that Pana is to announce its DSLR next week.
Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=94846&forum_id=23

Also a thread on dpreview of the Lumix site stating that something will be announced with 130 hours:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18848795

Now I wasn't expecting anything from Panasonic regards the L1 until September, so this is news that hopefully we will see the specs, perhaps an updated LiveMOS sensor and possible price of the L1. It could on the other hand be an announcement of the FZ40 and the LX2. I'm not too sure about them announcing another DSLR esp as it could steal what ever thunder that they want to generate for the L1. Now they could take the wraps of a 4/3 LiveMOS 8MP wide/tele (28-150 f2.8 ) , EVIL cam with a 0.5MP LCD & EVF - now that would make me stop wanting an L1.
Cheers

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:53 AM   #2

Just as we said a week orso ago here, Panasonic was probably on pens and needles. Now we will find out how much Sony and others spooked them.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:00 AM   #3

Or maybe they weren't spooked after all. If I recalll correctly, a few weeks ago I said I couldn't see Panasonic waiting six months from February to do anything. I also said something to the effect: if Panasonic and Olympus are in cahoots and the L1 is similar to the Olympus 330 and the 330 is already on salethen the L1 should be nearly ready for market before September.

This patting myself on the back may turn out to be a swift kick in the rear so I'll be quiet.:-)
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:33 PM   #4

Here's some a wee bit more speculation:

http://www.digitalcamera.jp/

The orginial countdown site is here:

http://panasonic.jp/dc/0615/

From initial response on the Sony/KM forums theres quiet a few people disappointed with the new alpha even though its not even been released as a full production model just yet. I just hope that whatever is announced in the next few days, it could be the L1 plus the FZ40 and the LX2 to over shadow Sony's Alpha marketing "bang". I just hope everyone remains level headed.

On a related Sony note rumours are that the R1 won't be replaced with an R2. If thats the case it would be a real shame and if I'm priced out of the L1 then I will seriously be looking at picking up an R1 while its still available.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:53 PM   #5
Administrator

Unfortunately the current trend for any company that offers a dSLR is to discontinue its prosumer fixed lens models. We saw it with Canon (Pro 1), Nikon (Coolpix 8800), Minolta (A200) and then Olympus (C-8080) so I am sure Sony will do likewise with the R1 series, sorry. They feel that these expensive consumer cameras will cut into their dSLR sales so they just drop them out of the lineup.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:59 AM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Here's some a wee bit more speculation:

http://www.digitalcamera.jp/

The orginial countdown site is here:

http://panasonic.jp/dc/0615/

From initial response on the Sony/KM forums theres quiet a few people disappointed with the new alpha even though its not even been released as a full production model just yet. I just hope that whatever is announced in the next few days, it could be the L1 plus the FZ40 and the LX2 to over shadow Sony's Alpha marketing "bang". I just hope everyone remains level headed.

On a related Sony note rumours are that the R1 won't be replaced with an R2. If thats the case it would be a real shame and if I'm priced out of the L1 then I will seriously be looking at picking up an R1 while its still available.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
I am in those forums every day and I don't think there are that many people that are disappointed. Maybe some that wanted to see it with more external controls like a 7D. I think Sony may have gotten it just right by building a model with features right in between the 5D and the 7D. Going 10 meagapixel certainly made a lot of people happy.They kept the antishake as expected and added the dust cleaning feature along with some other other enhancements that I don't recall. The only real disappointment to myself and some others is that they eliminated ISO 3200. Although it wouldn't stop me from buying the Sony, I would have liked to seethem retain it.I don't use it a lot, but ISO 3200 does come in handy for those shots that you normally can't shoot in low light.Despite being a little noisy,in situations that really call for ISO 3200, I find the noise acceptable.

I'm curious, but why would you want an R1 and not an Alpha? That's a lot of money to dropon a camera that has a fixed lens and not much of a zoom, especially if you are used to the ultrazoom capabilities of a Panasonic. Unless of course you are waiting for the price to drop. I think you would do much better with a 5D or 7D. Circuit City is clearing out 5Ds from 452 to 499 with the 18-70mm kit lens, if you can find one.Walmart had the 7D for 699 with the 18-70mm kit lens. Adorama has the 7D for 899 with the 28-75mm lens, which is a terrific buy since that lens sellsfor379 at B&H photo. Adorama also has a special on that lens for 299 right now, but the 899 package is still a great deal.Even if you didn't want that lens, you could turn it around on EBay for probably 350 dollars and buy a lens more suitable to your needs.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote