Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:27 PM   #1

One of the reasons's why I was really looking forward to getting the L1 was due to me wanting a camera that did not draw attention to itself and thus me - especially for street shots and portraits where you don't want to intimadate the person your taking a pic. Now looking closely at the the beta versions of the L1 I really wish they had gone for a smaller size - this is a big camera and that Leica D is a big lens - 72mm threads so hoping to be discreet is going to difficult. Size wise its approximately the same size as the E330 but then again its getting pretty close to the same dimensions of the Nikon D200 although its just 2/3 of the wieght. I really wish they had managed to make it smaller - even if it was just by 5mm all over but as it is its a big camera and I wish they'd moved that shutter button to the traditional location inside the grip although that would have taken away the rangefinder look. Here's a shot of the L1 in the hands of a model - look at the size of the cam and the lens now if that doesn't intimdate anyone I don't know what would.

Pic from http://www.sdbear.com/2/lib/200606/22/123/lmc1.jpg

I'm gonna have to be patient till the end of the month and then wait for the reviews from the Japanese sites to trickle through and pop into my local panasonic authorised reseller to have a wee play with one.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
One of the reasons's why I was really looking forward to getting the L1 was due to me wanting a camera that did not draw attention to itself and thus me - especially for street shots and portraits where you don't want to intimadate the person your taking a pic. Now looking closely at the the beta versions of the L1 I really wish they had gone for a smaller size - this is a big camera and that Leica D is a big lens - 72mm threads so hoping to be discreet is going to difficult. Size wise its approximately the same size as the E330 but then again its getting pretty close to the same dimensions of the Nikon D200 although its just 2/3 of the wieght. I really wish they had managed to make it smaller - even if it was just by 5mm all over but as it is its a big camera and I wish they'd moved that shutter button to the traditional location inside the grip although that would have taken away the rangefinder look. Here's a shot of the L1 in the hands of a model - look at the size of the cam and the lens now if that doesn't intimdate anyone I don't know what would.

Pic from http://www.sdbear.com/2/lib/200606/22/123/lmc1.jpg

I'm gonna have to be patient till the end of the month and then wait for the reviews from the Japanese sites to trickle through and pop into my local panasonic authorised reseller to have a wee play with one.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|

Get yourself something else. Get a KM 5D, or Pentax or an Olympus.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:37 PM   #3

That is a honking big lens! I like the rangefinder style, but that lens doesn't seem to complement it very well.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
That is a honking big lens! I like the rangefinder style, but that lens doesn't seem to complement it very well.
AND, it looks better in her hands than it would in mine!

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:32 AM   #5

HarjTT,

get L1 kit, sell the Leica, and buy Zuiko 14-54.
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote