Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:33 PM   #1

A post on Dprview linked a site which posted a review of the DMC L1 - again no indication if the camera used was a pre-production/beta or not.

here's the thread on dpreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1

I took the liberty to download and compare the L1 to the Sony Alpha at the higher ISO levels - 400 and 800 which was also reviewed on the same site but couldn;t find a similar series of shots for the Nikon D200 or Canon 30D. If anyone comes across them let me know and I'd be more than happy to do the same. At ISO 1600 the Sony definetly has the edge.

(The full size 100% crops can be found here: http://HarjTT.smugmug.com/gallery/1669685/1/81812686)

ISO400 Comparisons:

DMC L1 are to your left and the Sony Alpha 100 to the right.

Pic 1. ISO400 100% crops:

Pic 2. ISO 400 crops 100%

Pic 3. ISO 400 100% crops

ISO 800 100% comparisons:

Pic 4. ISO 800 crops.

Pic 5. ISO 800 crops

Pic 6. ISO 800 Comparison

From these shots the L1 is clearly retaining more detail than the Sony Alpha. The Alpha images are also softer than the L1 - possibly due to the kit lens being used, but they come up pretty good with a wee bit of USM. The L1 does have a horizontal banding issue which can be clearly bee seen in the ISO 800-1600 shots and they will definetly need to fix this before they can release the L1. The outdoor shots on the review website - were not unimpressive at all - looked as if they had some kind of focusing issue.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:33 PM   #2

The problem in looking atimages like this is simply not knowing enough detail to make any kind of judgement at all. Is the this from a "production" model with final firmware in place or pre-production with test firmware as you mentioned yourself?

To me, until the thing is out here for sale and in the hands of people like Steve to test to see the reality ofactual noise, banding orimage quality based on a body you or I will actually be able to purchase, this type stuff is pretty worthless.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:51 PM   #3

Hi Greg

I understand your point completely and really wish that some offical sample images or from the L1 or even preview samples from Steve, Phil @dprview, Dave at Imaging-resource etc were available. I think the camera used in this particular review was a pre-production model although I may be wrong. The reason for posting this thread was down to the fact that even from these sample images the noise levels from the L1 (minus the banding) appeared to be good and only after comparing it against the APS-C Sony CCD can you really tell the improvements that Pana have made. Now if they fix the banding issue, which is consistenly present from ISO400-1600 then the LiveMOS sensor in the L1 will have less noise than Sony's latest 10MP APS-C sensor from ISO100-800 which can only be a good thing.

Hopefully, by the end of next week I'll have a chance to play around with an L1 and if the first reviews are good may be even get one.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|

Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:57 PM   #4

I will be watching with much interest when this body does finally make it out. Right now, if I had to chose I'd go with a body like the Olympus E-330. If you're going to have any sort of live view in a DSLR, it only makes sense for the LCD to be tiltable to shoot from thehip or over crowds with a view- but any type of shooting like that would be an extremely rare instance for me. Image quality is the last word and if this camera has it- and it already has the looks (I do like thestyling alot), I'll most likely be in the market, but for the body only, meaning probably several months into production.

The "Leica"lens will most likely be waaaay over priced for what it is and I already have a set of Olympus glass in the 7-14, 14-54 and 50-200. If it were a straight f2.8 thatmight have been a different story and definitely a difference from a marketing standpoint with current Olympus owners who have already paid $400-$500 for the 14-54 f2.8-3.5. As it is, it looks like nothing more than a 14-54 semi-clone with obvious allowances/redesign for theimage stabilization. There's a reason why Canon introduced the 75-300 asit's first consumer lens with image stabilization- it makes more sense to put itin the tele range. Stabilization is overkill for at least the first half of the zoom rangeof the14-50mm, but I guess they had to start somewhere.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
From these shots the L1 is clearly retaining more detail than the Sony Alpha. The Alpha images are also softer than the L1 - possibly due to the kit lens being used, but they come up pretty good with a wee bit of USM. The L1 does have a horizontal banding issue which can be clearly bee seen in the ISO 800-1600 shots and they will definetly need to fix this before they can release the L1. The outdoor shots on the review website - were not unimpressive at all - looked as if they had some kind of focusing issue.

Cheers

HarjTT

I don't see the L1 as clearly retaining more detail in every shot and if the kit lens was used in the Sony then obviously if we put good glass on the Sony, we will see a dramatic improvement and a better comparison.I think it also would be a better if the images were the same size.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:06 PM   #6

Mean,

Point taken - you can check the full size originals of the crops here :

http://HarjTT.smugmug.com/gallery/1669685/1/81812686)

The L1 shots clearly show more detail and less noise upto ISO800, which for a 4/3 CCD is quite suprising. I think if the sensor was pitched at 8MP the Alpha would have the cleaner looking images and I'm sure if the Carl Zeiss 16-80 was used, the amount of detail captured by the Alpha would greatly improve.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O:|