Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:20 PM   #11

Photoxels has posted a positive review of the L1:

http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-l1-review.html

Unless I'm mistaken they've added some new test shots since they posted the others I saw a few days ago, before this review went up. The shots aren't overly compelling subject-wise but to me this says more about the photographer, than the tool being used.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:18 AM   #12

After reading the L1's review it certainly looks to be what I want. I never was that much interested in the live-view portion of it so if it's used by me then it may well be for static scenes.That said, I still find myself wondering if it's too much camera for me, just like the D200 or the 30D. Not that I wouldn't get the hang of it but will I usea lot of the featureson it to justify the price. Just as Doug says, decisions, decisions. Now I'll mosey on over to check out the FZ50 review. Any comments on the FZ50you guys. What do you think?

I know this sounds strange to be looking at two cameras with one being nearly three times the cost of the other. Oh lordy, why can't I be a point and shoot guy. :?
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:45 AM   #13

Just went over to Dpreview for the FZ50. It's taking a lot of heat.:O
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:14 AM   #14

I read the review and it is pretty good indeed a lot better than what i thought it would be. IQ has definetly improved and they have fixed that banding issue that was showing up on shots taken at ISO400-1600. The sample pixs are better than those posted earlier and I agree with Doug over the abilities of the photographer. He's also made some valid remarks on the size/weight of the lens and also the way live view is implemented - I think they really should have looked at another way of implementing it to make it really useful. Whats missing from the review was a side by side comparison with the E330 + zukio lenses so that we can see the difference if any between the quality of eth files being produced by the L1 & E330.

Andrew, I'd wait on the FZ50 and I'm really not holding my breath over the IQ at high iSO on the FZ50. I'm sure it'll be a good cam but I'm worried over the IQ of the files it will produce - cramming 10MP onto an already noisy sensor wasn't a good move in my opinion. Regrading IQ, I think the Venus III on the FZ's/TZ/LX's just seems to obilterate any noise into a watercolour effect while Venus II at least kept the detail in the image. I think there is a difference between VIII on the L1 and the other cams although I could be wrong.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|:-)
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:47 AM   #15

Thanks a lot my man, I surely do appreciate your input on this issue.

I've always been the kind of guy to not buy what I just need at the ''present'' but to cover my bases for the forseeable future too. It means growing into a camera and not growing out of it.

I guess all this means is since I've waited this long (and ''this long'' can be construed to mean wanting a DSLR about the time the 20D surfaced) then a few more weeks/months sure won't matter for whatever I decide to purchase. However, that purchase will definitely be a DSLR.

A quick comment on the ''live view'' on the L1: I found myself wondering why the Panasonic engineers ''overlooked'' the clunkiness of the double banging of the shutter. The engineering behind it as to an alternative set-up obviously wouldn't have been difficult to implement according to the reviewer. Even though it was ''only'' a second or so from start to finish for a picture, to some photographers thatmay be enough to turn them off. I don't know if it will be that big of a deal to me as the camera's selling point had nothing to do with live view anyway. I will say this though: the model after the L1 will surely have an improvement on the live-view, especially if it becomes a sore-point with a lot of reviewers/buyers.

While the review was very interesting Ithought along the lines ofhow theL1 would perform as a ''sports'' camera: how fast, too slow in focusing, etc. Since this camera has a hefty price tag, and surely it isn't alone in this area, then asa potential buyer I want this camera to perform in this areaalso. Kind of like wanting everything and knowing you can't have it. :-)

So it still seemsto me we need more of a ''turning more pages'' sort of review.

And the wait goes on.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:48 PM   #16

HI Andy

I read a review on the E330 and towards the end the reviewer suggested that although its a vey good camera it wasn't ideal for sports photography - I think it was primarily down to how fast the camera was able to focus and there was a coupel fo other points that he mentioned so I'd assume that the L1 may also suffer from the same shortcummings. As a sports lens you'd have to look at the Oly 50-200mm for now and that is a very good bit of glass and pretty fast f2.8-3.5 but its without IS. Panasonics plans for their lenses state that there will be a 50-150 OIS f3.5-4.6 lens available in 2007 I'm not sure whether it will be better than the Zukio and I'm a little confused why they've gone for a slower lens with IS when a faster f2.8-3.5 or f2.8 with IS would have been nicer - expensive I'm sure too.

I'm sure Pana will introduce a mid-range DSLR that sits between the FZ50 and the L1 but when is anybody's guess. In the meantime Nikon have released the D80, Canon will show off their 350XT replacement and Oly possibly the E3 and E500 replacements by Photokina in Sept. As you I'm in the same boat - I've waited quiet some time before deciding to upgrade and a few more weeks won't hurt. I'm not going to simply rush out and just buy the latest and greatest unless it does what I need and will be able to help me develop. With that in mind I'm sure any good DLSR will do that for at least 2 years and I think with the manual layout of the L1 even more.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:37 PM   #17

I've more or less decided to get a Nikon D50 on Thursday next week.

As attractive as the new D80 is, and as much as the L1 intrigues me, I think it would be best for me to take my dSLR baby-steps with the D50. It is an excellent camera, an excellent dSLR to get my sea-legs with (as it were) at an excellent price.

I intend to keep my FZ20 for as long as possible; it will complement my intended D50. With current pricing, the D50 will actually cost me a bit less than I originally paid for the FZ20. As such I'm not even considering the FZ50.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote