Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:13 PM   #1

Panasonic have finally posted offical pictures from the L1. All shots are at ISO 100 which is seems to be a habit from Pana - an ISO 400 and 800 shots would have been nice.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...le_images.html

First thoughts from the first shot - a really nice shot with good colour and lots of detail in the image.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2

I agree with you on Panasonic ''holding back'' higher images. They must know, even from my amateur position, that everyone is anticipating the above 100 ISOs. Why the delay. That said, I still can't imagine them not having a grip on this situation; not at this stage of the game...especially when there are those that want to see this project fail.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:31 AM   #3

DPnow already posted sample images of L-1. The article also included ISO performance up to ISO 1600. I think the banding problem already gone.

You can click this link

http://dpnow.com/2832.html

Unfortunately, all samples were JPEGs out of camera. No RAW shots were taken due Pany didn't supply them with appropriate RAW developer software.
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:25 PM   #4

There's still only a trickle of L1 images appearing on the net which is a wee bit suprising since its now been out in the wild for a couple of weeks in Japan. So far I've not seen any pics (other than the two offical L1 shots) that have made me go "wow" unlike the pics that were coming from the LC1/D2 which definetly had that "Leica look" to them. I'm itching to see what Steve, Phil @ dpreview and the other reviewers can do with the L1 and what they're opinion of the cam is especially compared to the E330/D200/30D.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:01 AM   #5

I've been underwhelmed by the L1 sample pics posted here & there on the internet, mostly because the shots have been (to me at least,) uninteresting to begin with - kind of touristy and uninspiring. But that's not the camera's fault is it.

I very much look forward to seeing the camera put through its paces and critiqued by a seasoned, thorough reviewer as well - along with some cracking sample photos.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:47 AM   #6

DougG wrote:
Quote:
''...kind of touristy and uninspiring.''
Especially the picture of theguy with the bass fiddle. Nothing in that picture set me on edge.

Well I sure would have thought, given the press on the L1, someone, somewhere (in Japan?)would have seen what the camera can and can't do and ''leaked'' impressions by now. This isafter the early preview on Dpreview.

The waiting game continues.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7

There are more posted here:

http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-l...o-gallery.html

These samples lack a certain "something" (and some need post-processing) however they do give a hint as to the camera's capabilities I think.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:05 PM   #8

The thing that is bugging me is that some of the photographers that have had the L1 for beta testing have managed to shoot what some 3000 images and yet none of them have produced an image that really stands out. I'd really like to see a side by side comparison with the E330 + Leica D, both cameras fitted with the 14-54 Zukio so we can see if there's any really difference in IQ between the two cam's.

I had a look at the Nikon D200 and the E330 last week and personally the D200 is not for me - a bit big, its heavy (the body alone seemed to weigh as much as the E330+14-45mm) and its got a very loud shutter. I did like the OVF (nice and bright), very fast AF and build quality was excellent. The E330 on the other hand was quiet small even though on paper its not much smaller than the D200, its weight inc the lens was very good, the OVF wasn't as good as the D200 but its much better than the EVF on my FZ10, I liked the tilt LCD and livepreview but I don't like Oly's button layout and access to menu options on the E330. The camera also feels nice to hold in the hand like the D200. The L1's layout seems to be pretty spot on with the buttons and with the shutter dial, aperture rings etc. The only other problem with the e330 is the price in the UK. Its going for £800 just for the body alone, although I've seen it with the 14-45 for £700 but with the 14-54 f2.8-3.5 its going to cost around £1100-1200 which I think is pretty close to what the L1+Lecia may cost.

Here's another L1 gallery posted by a Juan Carlos Martin:

http://www.1001fotos.es/jcm/index-2.html

The problem with the images there is that they are just way too small to eb of any use. There was a video showing the L1 in use and how it physically compares to the E330 which was very good but it seems to have been pulled.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:40 PM   #9

Personally I'm still leaning heavily towards a Nikon D50, mostly because it feels so right in my hands, and I don't necessarily need a larger camera like the D200 right now.

Oly DSLRs certainly intrigue me - I haven't played around with an E330; while it's kind of a fascinating camera in many ways, it doesn't make me swoon. Can't say why, exactly. I did play around with an Oly E500 though, and while it was quite nice, its low-light / high ISO performance is poor compared to the D50 and I find that a bit of a turn-off. I'm still trying to figure out whether I should keep considering it - one half of my brain says swim against the tide and get an E500, while the other side of my brain keeps saying "D50! D50! D50!". Oh what to do.

Anyway, if (and that's a big if) the L1 gets very good reviews I may postpone my D50 (or wait! E500!) purchase plans, and save up for an L1. The L1 is still probably "more camera" than I would need for the foreseeable future, but it still has that certain Panny thing about it, the same thing that drove me to get my FZ20 - a purchase I have NEVER regretted one whit.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 2:06 PM   #10

Hi Doug

I know what you mean about that Pana thing - I've never regretted getting my FZ10, even though the FZ20 was introduced shortly afterwards. Its still taking some pretty decent shots even after nearly 2 years. I look at the layout and button positions on the L1 and they are just spot on and when you see the L1 in use it does make you think why none of the other SLR manufacturers have not gone the same way.

If you get the chance do take a look at the E330 as its the same size as the L1 but just slightly thicker and rounder. It does feel good in the hand and i wish the L1 had gone with a slightly bigger grip and repositioned shutter. It'll give you an idea on how big the L1 is - I think becuase its juct brick shaped it does look bigger than the E330. I do like the tilt LCD on the E330 and personally Pana should have fitted one too - shooting from the hip is pretty easy with it. A friend of mine just recently picked up an E500+twin kit lens a few months ago and she's having a blast with the camera - the kit lenses are pretty good but I;d wait for a wee bit even on the D50. Photokina is due pretty soon and we know that the D90 is due and there's rumour that the E500's and the E1 replacement will be introduced. Don't be suprised if Canon spring a suprise or two as well.

Cheers

HarjTT