Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:26 PM   #21

IMO, Sony is the recent winner when it comes to offering entry level DSLRs loaded with features, producing excellent results and at a very affordable price. Oly is very aggressive as well in terms of price (even more so than Sony) but I don't believe they have increased their market share that much with the latest models (E520/E620). The EP-1 had potential but Oly messed up by not including a built in flash and an EVF. Perhaps the EP-2 will make up for it. Panasonic is doing well with its G1 model (the GH1, although it seems to be a very good camera, again, it's over priced). G1 prices fluctuate quite a bit on Amazon and other retailers and I've seen it go for as low as $619. The GF1 on the other hand will foolow the L1 footsteps. Unless its price drops by a good $100-$150, I don't believe sales will sky rocket.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:01 AM   #22

First I though also GH1 is overpriced - but Panas 14-140 is a lens, not available from Canon/Nikon and all others. It's the first and only video lens for "DSLR", noiseless and autofocusing.

Body price for GH1 is similar to other bodys! If you reduce kit price with lens.

Look at the price f.e. Nikon 70-200 ( http://geizhals.at/eu/a64799.html ) ... its more expensive then GH1 kit!

http://geizhals.at/eu/a409874.html
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Panasonic is doing well with its G1 model (the GH1, although it seems to be a very good camera, again, it's over priced). G1 prices fluctuate quite a bit on Amazon and other retailers and I've seen it go for as low as $619. The GF1 on the other hand will foolow the L1 footsteps. Unless its price drops by a good $100-$150, I don't believe sales will sky rocket.
I bought my G1 in Japan with the twin lens kit (14-45mm & 45-200mm), and it was only the equivalent of $620 USD!!!!! It was a bargain!!!!

Actually, I bought a G1 body, second hand for my daughter last week (no charger, no battery, but I've got both plus a spare battery) for only about $280 USD!!!

Last edited by dnas; Sep 26, 2009 at 8:15 AM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:40 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
First I though also GH1 is overpriced - but Panas 14-140 is a lens, not available from Canon/Nikon and all others. It's the first and only video lens for "DSLR", noiseless and autofocusing.

Body price for GH1 is similar to other bodys! If you reduce kit price with lens.

Look at the price f.e. Nikon 70-200 ( http://geizhals.at/eu/a64799.html ) ... its more expensive then GH1 kit!

http://geizhals.at/eu/a409874.html
That's not exactly a fair comparison, as that particular Nikkor lens is more than 4 times as bright as the Panasonic 14-140mm when you zoom in much (that Panasonic lens has a widest available aperture of f/5.8 on it's longer end, versus the f/2.8 you'd have available with a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. Note that f/2.8 is slightly more than 4 times as bright as f/5.8, allowing shutter speeds approximately 4 times as fast for the same lighting and ISO speed as compared to a lens with only f/5.8 available. ;-)

For lenses with a similar zoom range and brightness for models using an APS-C size sensor, look at the 18-200mm lenses. For example, the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR AF-S (Silent Wave Motor Focusing); or a similar lens from third party manufacturer like Tamron or Sigma.

An 18-200mm lens on a Nikon dSLR model using a Sony APS-C size sensor would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-300mm lens on a 35mm camera model (multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see what lens you'd need on a 35mm camera to get the same angle of view). With Canon dSLR models using Canon APS-C size sensors, use 1.6x instead (as Canon's APS-C size sensors are slightly smaller compared to the Sony APS-C size sensors used in many Nikon dSLR models).

With that Panasonic 14-140mm lens on a 4/3 system camera, you'd have the same angle of view you'd have with a 28-280mm lens on a 35mm camera (since you need to multiply the focal length by 2x to see what focal length lens you'd need on a 35mm camera for the same angle of view). So, the closest lenses to compare it with on Nikon models using a Sony APS-C size sensor would be the 18-200mm offerings (giving you the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-300mm lens on a 35mm camera).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Panasonic is doing well with its G1 model (the GH1, although it seems to be a very good camera, again, it's over priced). G1 prices fluctuate quite a bit on Amazon and other retailers and I've seen it go for as low as $619. The GF1 on the other hand will foolow the L1 footsteps. Unless its price drops by a good $100-$150, I don't believe sales will sky rocket.
The price of the GF1 has dropped in Japan. You can get a the GF1 with the 14-45mm kit lens for equivalent of around $620 USD.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote