Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:02 AM   #11

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...sonic-L1.shtml

A good review from MR. Nice and balanced and also to the point. I wasn't too surprised about the comments regards OVF and the LCD but was regards the shutter button location and also from what looks like a major oversight regards the in camera buffer - how they failed to spot this one is completely baffling. IQ wise it was good to see that they have improved the sensor and that he was more than happy with the ISO100-400/800. Regards Venus III, I'm beginning to wonder if there is two versions of it - one designed for the L1 and another for the FZ's/LX's etc.
I assume you are wondering about two versions of the Venus III due to higher noise in the FZ/LX series as compared to the L1. I would think that is due to the difference in sensor size.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:14 AM   #12

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:

And I agree with you guys on this one second or more slower than the rest. I'm saying aren't we talking about a second or two start up, not five or six.Honestly, Ifind some of this comical to entertain as an issue. :idea: If it is that big of a concern then when you reach into your bag, as noted above,make sure you hit the start button before you take it out. Simple. This way you won't miss a picture.

Now, I 've never owned aDSLRand wouldn't know how comfortable it will be to have the shutter button at an angle with the huge and presumably comfortable gripthen I can onlysay this: I just held my old trusty Canon F1N from 1982 (top of the line) in my hands and the shutter release button is on the top, just as all the contemporary cameras were at that time. Admittedly the release is more toward the front on the top, which gives my index finger a little more ease,butI moved it back and to the right a bit to get a feel for the L1's shutter releaseposition and it didn't seem too much ofa hindrance. But I'm used to it on the top so this shouldn't be an issue here for me. I also noticed my grip in the front of the F1N is very similar to the L1's. By the way, when I bought my first Canon camera which was the A1 (alongside me also) the reviewers said what a nice addition it was to have something in front of the camera that you could grip and hold. Then the F1N came along with the same type of grip. Times have changed. And now the L1's gripis similar to my 24 year old F1Nand the26year old A1.

Something totally off topic but related: I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix and the cruise control set-upis, yes, identical to my old 1987 Pontiac Bonneville which I had for10 years.
Where I agree with the reviewer when it comes to loss of time is his issue on the lack of dynamic buffering. Though it seems like it would affect pros more than hobbiyists, I would find it annoying if was trying to snap the next shot only to find my camera locked up writing to the buffer simply because I removed my finger from the shutter.

[align=left]No Dynamic Buffering
[align=left]Any photographer shooting reportage, news, fashion, sports, or any activity where rapid shooting is required will find themselves frustrated with the L1. The reason is this. There is a large enough shooting buffer, and the camera shoots moderately quickly. But, once you remove your finger from the shutter release, the memory buffer starts to write to the SD card and no further pictures can be taken until the buffer is completely empty.[/align]
[/align]
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:33 AM   #13

To Meanstreak,

While I will agree to your dynamic buffer explanation ( I read that too in the Luminous review, worded differently), I'm curious as to how it related toyour posting of my comments which are unrelated to dynamic buffering.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:20 AM   #14

Good review... a little picky
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:29 AM   #15

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:
To Meanstreak,

While I will agree to your dynamic buffer explanation ( I read that too in the Luminous review, worded differently), I'm curious as to how it related toyour posting of my comments which are unrelated to dynamic buffering.
[align=center]

:homey:[/align]

Though your comments were unrelated to dynamic buffering, they were related to speed. I was indirectly relating it to your comments aboutstartup speed. Not to disagree with your comments... in fact I agree with you and other posters that the startup speed delayis insignificant as a real issue. In contrast, I findthe behavior of the camera when removing your finger from the shutter release undesirable as it preventsyou from taking any further pictures until the buffer is completely empty. I find this behavior unacceptable, not that it doesn't have it's merits. On the plus side it frees up the buffer for the next series of shots. It's just thatI can relate to the behavior killing some photo opportunities while waiting for the buffer to clear. This drawback may not be reason enough to avoid the L1, but when you add it to some other issues, it could certainly be a deterrent.

I could have posted it to someone else, but you were the last in line about the startup speed and I just couldn't stopmyself from clicking the quote button within your post.

Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:59 AM   #16

Thanks.

Greg Chapelle notes that Panasonic may have a firmware update on the buffering issue . Well I can only hope they see to it.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:42 AM   #17

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
I very much enjoyed that review but I can't help being strangely amused by this comment that I have read in EVERY review of a Olympus DLRs with regard to the SSWF:

"My only complaint is that this slows down boot up time and I'd therefore suggest that its use be made optional via a custom function."

This adds, what...maybe a second and half to the boot up? I know when I turn on my E-500, it's ready to go before I've even got my fingers on the lens cap. Yet I have actually seen reviews where the boot up time is compared in .1 second increments as if it has some practical significance. Geez, it takes me about 6 seconds to unzip my gadget bag . If anybody is losing shots because their camera boots up a second or two slower than the competition, I'm not inclined to buy that excuse.
I have to laugh sometimes at the features manufacturers promote or highlight as a selling point. One such feature that comes to mind is on thenew SonyAlpha. Oneof theenhancements over the KM 5D is thatthe camera begins to autofocus as soon as your eye gets close to the viewfinder. It wasn't hard to add since they already had a sensorin place in the KM 5D to turn off the LCD as your eye appraoched the viewfinder.

At first I thought "What a great idea and time saver!", but then as I began to think about it; I could simulate the same feature by depressing the shutter as I bring up the camera to eye level. I also imagine that there are times, you might not want it to begin focusing. If they are smart,left that as a switchable feature.

Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:55 AM   #18

deleted: duplicate
Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:33 PM   #19

This may be off topic, but those of you on the fence about what to buy can now get a 7D for 599 with the kit lens at Walmart. There are plenty of lenses out there and if the body goes, you can upgrade to an Alpha. They are also offering a three year warranty for about 80 bucks and if it can't be repaired they refund your money.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:27 AM   #20

They are already out of stock.... that was one hell of a deal!