Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:57 AM   #1

Amatuer Photographer Weekly here in the UK have reviewed the DMC-L1 and it received a mixed response, with the main negative being its MSRP of £1499.99 which at the current exchange rate is $2858.54. Thats just typical for the UK but at least it wasn;t a straight lets swap the $ for the £ as normally happens. Hopefully the price on the street will be less although I highly doubt it as Pana will be making only a small number per month world wide. If it the price remains at £1500.00 it would be cheaper to fly to NY for a long weekend and pick it up from BHPhotoVideo.

For now I think I made the right choice by getting an Oly E1, although I still would have loved the retro look of the L1. Once its in the stores I'll take a look at it and see how the L1 really feels in the hand and if I do like it I may just holiday up to NYC to pick one up.

I'm still realy interested to see how much the Leica D will be priced esp as the 14-54 Zukio is priced at £449.00=$857.55, so I'm assuming the Leica D will come in between $500-1000. Sizewise the its is a wee bit bigger (actually it looks like its on steriods) than the Zukio but their identical in weight as both come in at 480g which is not bad considering its also got OIS.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:52 AM   #2

HarjTT
check out ebay, prices are more competitive
its way cheaper than the list price out here, which is usual

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:41 PM   #3

I picked up Amateur Photographer and the review on the L1 was not bad at all - 6 pages long. IQ wise - they weren't too impressed by the in cam jpg's esp when compared to the RAW files. The jpegs do look good until you seen the same shot taken in RAW and then you realise how much detail Venus III seems to be taking away. Up to ISO400 they were very impressed with the IQ (RAW) of the L1 and the Leica D, ISO 800 was still good although they would have prefered better ISO1600 performance - to my eyes the printed ISO1600 shot looked pretty good. WB and metering according to the review is very good. Its clear that the Leica D is a pretty impressive bit of glass and the L1 itself is a really sweet cam with some issues.

The only negatives on the review were - slow'ish AF with larger telephoto lenses (tested the L1 with an Oly 50-200), a non tilt/swivel LCD and the price £1499.99.

I'll post some more quotes from the review later.

Cheers

harjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote