Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:34 PM   #1

I am very new to photography and am unsure as to what kind of flash unit I can use with the onboard FZ5 flash. I gather that would mean using a slave flash? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Beth Ellen
FZ5
www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:30 PM   #2

I'm using a Sunpak 383 with my FZ7, but really you should be able to use almost any external flash. All you need is an optical slave to trigger it. I'm using the Wein hot shoe slave for digital cameras. The flash attaches to the slave like it would the hot shoe of a camera, then when the onboard flash fires it triggers the external flash. You cold also use something like the Wein peanut slave, it plugs into the sync input to trigger the flash.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:10 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Let me see if I understand. It sounds like the Sunpak 383 is not an external slave flash, so is that why it needs the optical slave?

Thanks,
Beth
FZ5
www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:12 PM   #4

The Sunpak 383 does not have a built in optical trigger. It is normally triggered by a camera's hot shoe or sync cable. You can get flashes with built in optical triggers but your choices are more limited. Youjust needto be sure the optical trigger or slave flashis for digital cameras. Digital cameras use a preflash which will cause a normal optical trigger to fire the flash to early.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5

Ok, thanks...

So, let me again see if I am getting this. I would need a flash bracket upon which I would put the optical trigger/slave and then on that I would put the flash. (?)

I had read that you have to set things up to ignore the "pre-flash". Is that something that the optical trigger would do or the flash component itself? I read also that some would block the onboard flash or deflect the light and also turn it way down so that it still gets a signal to the optical trigger to fire the flash. I know it doesn't kill the onboard flash but it minimizes it. Anyways, my main lack of clarity here is dealing with the "pre-flash". Thanks so much for your time. I know this will get clear to me eventually.

Beth Ellen
FZ5
http://www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:49 AM   #6

I use the Phoenix d92-bzs slave and L-bracket with my fz5. B&H Photo has it for $50 and another $12 for the bracket. The L-bracket gets the flash away from the lens -better than the supplied bracket.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:01 PM   #7

I see...so the Phoenix is one with a built in optical slave? How do you deal with the pre-flash? Is there an issue with pre-flash?

Questions, questions, questions! )

Beth Ellen
FZ5
http://www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:40 PM   #8

All digicams have a pre-flash for auto focus. The newer slave flashes such as the d92-bzs are set up for a pre-flash or have a pre-flash option setting. Yes, the pheonix is flash and slave trigger combined.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:03 PM   #9

Thanks much!