Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:06 PM   #1

No pp, cropping or anything, I just like the composition of this one.
Attached Images

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

I like the composition also. However, in my very limited experience I have found that a shutter speed of 800-1000 is required to freeze the hummer, and flash also helps at times if there is not enough light to acheive this shutter speed. Give it a try and post again. Only trying to help.

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:51 PM   #3

Thanks for viewing replying. As you know the birds move fast and before you can react most times they are gone. Thanks for the suggestion. Will step up the shutter speed on anothere bright day, before they leave to go to South America.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:27 PM   #4

I politely disagree. In this shot the moving hovering Hummer against the crisp background makes the picture. It displays with feeling, the movement of the bird. If it were frozen, it would just be another bird.

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:01 PM   #5

Thanks for viewing and commenting Fred. I thought this was one of my better ones, and decided not to crop it or do anything as I liked it the way it was. I would like to get some real close up and be able to stop the wing movent, but this wasn't one.

Thanks again
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:22 AM   #6

Very nice bayourebel. I agree with Fred. That shot just cries action and with the wings frozen it would not be the same.

I've tried to freeze the wings with my FZ20 and under no circumstance,can I get above 800 shutter speed. I've tried everything! Don't know is something is wrong with the camera or me.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:41 AM   #7

Dsr I also have the Fz-20 and can readily get shutter speed of 800-1000 providing the lighting is adequate. I will post a pic taken by my 20.
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:37 AM   #8

Hummers can be territorial...these two look like they are ready to "rumble"! Very nice photo, you have to be so quick for a photo capture like yours. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:26 AM   #9

Thanks Don. I appreciate the comment. I also have not been able to get enough light to raise the shutter speed above about 640.

"Thanks Donna for looking and viewing. I do appreciate the comments very much.

Dwssas, I havequite a fewphotos of the hummers coming into the feeder where I have been able to stop the action almost as good as yours, but not quite. I also have quite a few at the feeder as the one below. Once in a while, one manages to get that exceptional one. I would like to get one with the action frozen just as the hummer is about to light on the feeder.
Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:46 AM   #10

The action in the first shot looks good. The real problem I seeis that the focus point seems to be the wooden feeder on the left.

I agree that completely freezing the wings would not make for the ideal shot. I like some blur to convey the motion, not to mention it's hard as heck to achieve anyway.

If you Google the words "Hummingbird Photography", you should find some helpful articles on the subject.

They are definitely fun, but frustrating to shoot!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote