Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:10 PM   #1
jcr

hum...what about FZ50 external flash, I read it's TTL, but will my beloved Sunpak 383 works ok with it?is it compatible with this newer camera? or must be upgraded ? in case of upgrade...where to go? what is the low cost equivalent of the cheap sunpak 383 in TTL compatible with FZ50 ??

Thanks in advance

JC
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:16 PM   #2

It will work the same as it did on the previous FZs ....it just will not take full advantage of the TTL metering the FZ50 is capable of.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:28 AM   #3

for the TTL the FZ50 is capable of you need either of these flashes
Panasonic DMW FL28, DMW-FL360, DMW-FL500
Olympus FL36, FL50 and possibly the FL20
Leica SF24D

for just auto flash
Leica SF20
Metz 44Mz2, 54Mz3, 70Mz5 (all with SCA 3502 adapter)

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:24 PM   #4

Can someone explain what ttl really means and why I would want or need it?
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:38 PM   #5

TTL means 'through the lens'
its the best and most sophisticated form of flash metering

basicly
when the flash is triggered, the sensor 'in the lens' of the camera detects when the flash has supplied the right amount of light and shuts the flash off, all at the speed of light.

Naturaly that requires the flash and the camera be built to some specific requirement or plan, the flash is therefore 'dedicated' to that camera. Hence flash from specific brands are usually limited to cameras of that brand. Panasonic owners however, are in the fortunate position due to a technology alliance between Panasonic, Leica, Olympus and others, to be able to share some devices among brands.

Riley
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:58 PM   #6

Thanks Rriley. So, in other words, can I think of it as just a sophisticated auto flash mode? Does it take into account aperture and shutter settings? I would think that the camera must be limited to a smaller range of shutter speeds when using the ttl flash? I'm no exert still. I have a real hard time using my sunpak 383 eveytime I pull it out. Is it safe to say that during flash photography in manual mode, I should just pick a certain shutter speed and keep it constant?
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:12 PM   #7

TTL mode is the ultimate in control
I have an Oly with TTL flash, it hasnt overexposed in over 5000 firings except were I had some piece of furniture too close but too the left or right of frame

yes it takes into account ALL the cameras settings, and you can usually control flash for several stops over or under exposed. I set mine to 1 stop underexposed because I like to take the harshness out of the light and mix other light sources in for interest. Its generally a very reliable system. What you forget to do, it does for you.

I dont really know enough to comment on the Sunpac which im guessing offers 'auto' flash, usually you set the camera at a given aperture and the flash gives the correct output for that aperture. You would be required to set the shutter speed at or below the sync speed. The cheaper of the Metz flash have 3 appertures to chose from.

Riley