Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:36 AM   #11

Did you try half-press the shutter button then manually adjust the focus ring?
That's how I focused mine.
Hope this helps.
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 6:31 AM   #12

Thanks for the input John.
I was @ full zoom + T/C
ISO - 100
f/11 - 1/200
M/F
Tripod.

I if there is no clouds, I will tr your suggestions tonight.
motib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:32 PM   #13

Hi, nice pics here.

thats my FZ20-Moon

Greetings

Klaus

Attached Images

kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 6:19 PM   #14

Another tip is select 3MP EZ mode on your camera for that 19 times zoom mode, it doesnt improve the pictures (they are pretty much identical to the 8MP images when cropped) but the Moon will be larger on your screen so you can focus a lot easier and just makes it a lot easier to do everything and see bits on the surface

I tried a few comparison shots last night as we had a Prtial Moon Eclipse last night and that was quite exciting to try out on.

Nice to see pictures from all over the world and seethat we all kind of get similar quality pics, but I have seen some around taken with out camera that blow all of ours way out of the water! some are minblowing and I still refuse to beleve a word these people say as they have to be using an amazing add on as they are about 10 times as detailed as any of ours.

The ONLY thing I can assume is that the moon is a different sieze at different times of the year in different places? is that possible?

May as well join in and post 2 from last nights partial eclipse in the UK. During and after. Click for bigger pics if you like. Its the earths shadow over the end of the moon.

'>

'>

We also had this staggering sight!!!! caused by the eclipse event! never seen anything like this in my friggin life!!!!!! :OFIRE IN THE SKY!

'>
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:51 PM   #15

Well the moon was out again tonight in all its' glory. Itried everyones suggestions plus some experimenting of my own, but with no success. I couldn't get a larger image or enough detail of the moons' surface. Any more ideas.
motib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:26 AM   #16

Crikey I guess the only thing is set it to maual, say f5 and 1/80th second and set the camera to Spot Focus (the small dot) and it should in theory work in the end?

Keep on trying I guess. I tried again last night with them exact settings and it took good pics (some looked bad), just kept on pressing autofocus and snapping a few, then autofucos again and trying agaion. In the end one or 2 have to look ok. Unless you have clouds, mist or something that your eyes dont see?

Dont shoot in RAW mind you, they will look crap unless you know what you are doing. I dont and all my RAW shots came out looking pathetic, in fact they look worthless. Stick High quality Jpegs on and take loads.

motib wrote:
Quote:
Well the moon was out again tonight in all its' glory. Itried everyones suggestions plus some experimenting of my own, but with no success. I couldn't get a larger image or enough detail of the moons' surface. Any more ideas.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:02 AM   #17

wow romerojpg, those photos are fantastic and the FIRE IN THE SKY looks fantastic and maybe that the end of the world is near!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:20 AM   #18

Beleve me that Fire in the Sky was freaky! wish I had it on video, forgot to take moving images of it, it was far more impressive when you saw it rolling thru the sky.

Heres another Moon I took last night, its getting clearer every night and you can see more depth to the crators around the edges. I take mine with Jpegs, but anyone know why my RAW pics dont come out looking any good? I dont use Raw much and after using it on the moon it has put me off even more.

Keep posting Moon pics everyone nice to see how different our pics are with the same caeras.

Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:38 PM   #19

Yeah!!!
So glad to see everybody jump in to post their "moons."

I am learning a lot from here.
Come on people! Keep those moons coming!!!
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:14 PM   #20

Well I just tried something a little different

Turned off the anti shake (apprenty it messes with the pics if its static in a tripod)

Used 3MP EZ zoom for 19 times zoom

Selected 4 times digital zoom

That way the image on the LCD is massive! you can really see loads of detail, makes it much better to focus on the moon

So heres a pic taken in that way, plenty of detail, but strangley out of the 3 pics that turned out, all 3 have great detail on different sides! yes are slightly blured on another, so out of 3 I could make a perfect composite of the moon, but thats a lot of work. The black of space is a little noisey.

Still this ones fairly detailed.