Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:25 AM   #1

Hi, New to macro photography and just need a little help. Just recieved my DCR-250 today and cant seem to get clear photos when i get close.

1. Should my camera be on macro/super macro or normal mode?

2. How far should my camera be from subject? eg. Ant

3. Can you get clear macroshots indoors with low light using flash?

Will be very grateful!!!
androllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:13 AM   #2

Hi there...were your shots mainly in low light?

With the Raynox 250 it is roughly 4 inches from the subject. If you are shooting in low light you might try using a flashlight to lighten the object and allow your camera to focus better and use your flash as well. Does your camera allow you to lower your flash settings? If so, you might want to lower it so it doesn't overwhelm the object. Generally in the dark or really low light I like to set it to f/8 1/800 or around that as I struggle to keep the camera steady. )

Others might have some better suggestions but that is what I do.

Beth Ellen
FZ5
http://www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:51 PM   #3

Welcome.

1. A mode or M mode will do.
For macros, you would want max DOF, so F11 as far as possible.

2. For DCR250 the distance is fixed regardless of subject. its abt 10cm

3. Yes. Regardless if its outside or inside, when using flash, try to soften it by diffusing it or bouncing it.
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:38 PM   #4

1/800th!crikey thats rather fast, as far as I knew the flash on the FZ30 isnt capable of sincing with the camera shutter speed after 250th, so 800 is overkill as it wont change the image will it?
I could be very wrong about the 250th thing, but I am sure I read it somewhere and tried it on water and there was no difference between 1000th and 250th and the water just looked crappy and blured.

and Androllo try moving the camera, not the focus etc.. just find where its in focus and move the camera up and down a fraction, thats all I do now no need to use the focus etc.. as it may ruin your shot as you roll the focus wheel about. I do try automatic focus outside and its quite good if you are having trouble focusing.

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
Hi there...were your shots mainly in low light?

With the Raynox 250 it is roughly 4 inches from the subject. If you are shooting in low light you might try using a flashlight to lighten the object and allow your camera to focus better and use your flash as well. Does your camera allow you to lower your flash settings? If so, you might want to lower it so it doesn't overwhelm the object. Generally in the dark or really low light I like to set it to f/8 1/800 or around that as I struggle to keep the camera steady. )

Others might have some better suggestions but that is what I do.

Beth Ellen
FZ5
http://www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:52 PM   #5

Hi romerojpg, I am still learning much about photography but I use that setting at night. :-) Perhaps I can get an example of a night photo with these settings...I diffuse a low flash setting with a little soft box I made...

I mainly use the faster speed as I find I tend to shake alot...it does help me capture things better especially in low light to dark situations...focus and snap!

>>1/800th!crikey thats rather fast, as far as I knew the flash on the FZ30 isnt capable of sincing with the camera shutter speed after 250th, so 800 is overkill as it wont change the image will it?
I could be very wrong about the 250th thing, but I am sure I read it somewhere and tried it on water and there was no difference between 1000th and 250th and the water just looked crappy and blured.<<
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:56 PM   #6

Of course, I will explore it more but since it worked I did not see a reason to think about it.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:41 PM   #7

You guys are awesome!!

Ye i did use my camera in low light.

Im excited now ill go home straight after work and put into practice all your tips.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:56 PM   #8

androllo wrote:
Quote:
You guys are awesome!!

Ye i did use my camera in low light.

Im excited now ill go home straight after work and put into practice all your tips.

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:21 PM   #9

tchuanye wrote:
Quote:
Welcome.

3. Yes. Regardless if its outside or inside, when using flash, try to soften it by diffusing it or bouncing it.
Hi, you said the distance from subject should be fixed at about 10cm, but what about optical zoom do you use that at all?

Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:21 PM   #10

tchuanye wrote:
Quote:
Welcome.

Hi, you said the distance from subject should be fixed at about 10cm, but what about optical zoom do you use that at all?

Thanks for the help.