Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:14 PM   #21

Hi Jim...

I was ready to buy an FZ30, until the noise issue. So, I waited for the FZ50. Now, I'm not sure whether to to look again for the FZ30 or the 50???. Very confusing...

George
geotlyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:14 PM   #22

Hi Jim...

I was ready to buy an FZ30, until the noise issue. So, I waited for the FZ50. Now, I'm not sure whether to to look again for the FZ30 or the 50???. Very confusing...

George
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:46 PM   #23

George, I too hesitated in buying the 30 one year ago, because of the noise issue, but after taking 20 thousand pictures with it I'm extremely happy I bought it. The only reason I bought the 50 is that I thought the picture quality would be as good or better than the 30 and it has some new features. The new features were great but the picture quality wasn't even as good as the FZ20 ! (IMO) I would buy the 30 ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:24 PM   #24

Thanks Jim..

I'll be looking for the 30, but it will be more difficult now (specially the black),since they've discontinued it. I'm sure I'll find one..

George
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:59 PM   #25

George, Try this link. It's Amazon.com and they have the FZ30 in stock. Jim

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...F8&s=photo
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:09 PM   #26

Hi Jim..

Amazon is out of stock.. I found a few stores that had the black one, and will check tomorrow for the best price, and also the reliability of these stores. I was also waiting to see the reviews on thenew Fuji S9100. It looks pretty good.

George

Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:10 PM   #27

Good luck which ever one you decide on! Jim
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:46 PM   #28

FZ30 are still around on ebay, I doubt that situation will continue for long.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:29 AM   #29

help.......please! (especially Jim)

It seemed like after reading the DPreview of the FZ50...it was the camera for me...now I'm having doubts

I was looking at the Canon IS3 and the sony H5...I wasn't 100% convinced with the pics I've seen online...althought the sony seemed to have a far better image both in general quality and in the 100-200 iso race IMO(ok, then I saw some samples of the sony with horrible purple fringing problems and highlight clipping)...the fz50, besides what seemed to blow away the above two in image quality...it also works well up to 200, has a hot shoe, and that great lens.

I can care less about 8 or 10 mp...5 or6 is fine

Now...what about that noise in lower* light?is that only when pushing the sensor to it's 10mp limit?what if I shoot at 5mp at 100iso?

Here is my wish list:

longzoom (tired of conversion lenses), hot shoe, works in lower light* (at wide..not 430mm...LOL)and the hazy/bright florida sunshine (gotta use that polarizing filter!), raw would be a plus as this would be new for me...and lots of image parameters to fiddle with...oh and an swing out LCD would be nice

I aman owner of 2 Olympus cameras the c-3040 and c-5000. There is NO camera that offers as many features for what I spent on the second...$180 on ebay...Can anyone name a camera under $400 that has a hot shoe?(ok, you could probaly get an older canon g6 on ebay)...it also takes great photos...if you turn off the full auto modeAND set the ISO to 50 or 80 AND use an FL-20 olympus flash on the hot shoe (+ the internal flash) AND shoot in the shutter preferred atleast 1/60AND the lowest compression 5mp...in auto the camera defaults to 1/30 and then drops between iso160-320 indoors with truly awful results...I prefer using the camera in everything but auto, anyway.

ok...I also have a dumb question..

One of the knocks on olympus is that their self timers reset after using them. Does that mean on other cameras including the FZ30/50 when youuse the self timer and hit the shutter it will automatically snap every 10 sec (or so) until the card is full? just wondering.

__________________________________________________ __________

*Ok, what is low light anyway?...I'm not searching for Osama in a cave....but does a living room, say about 12x20ft with 3 lamps (75 watt bulbs)...count as low? the reviews said my camera (no AF illuminator) wasat best -fairin lower light. while it does sometimes hunt and peck...it will focus...I have to believe that the panasonic withstabilization and an AF illuminatoreven at 100iso has to be vastly superior than my compact C-5000 and work well by my standards in low or room light

FYI...Here is a link to PBASE where someone posted some (IMO), very good animal photos with the fz50...check out the squirrel (unfortunately though, they are resized)

http://www.pbase.com/annefromgatineau/fz50test&page=2

thanks in advance for any thoughts on your part

gregg
Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:34 AM   #30

hey, check this out....I don't know if it will do any good...someone is trying to send a petition to panasonic for a firmware update to turn off the NR in the fz50

http://gopetition.com/online/9523.html
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote