Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:14 PM   #41

thanks riley...I guess I expect too much from the manufacturing world

So many people on Ebay are bidding on a camera that hasen't been made in 2 years...the olympus c-5060...and are willing to pay over 300 dollars because no camera today offers all of the features that it does unless you get a dslr (of course then then swing out LCD for the live view becomes irrelevant)...then there is the c-7070, a great camera...which I believe has been discontinued as well...It's used value has actually pushed it UP in price on Ebay as the demand for it's features grew...people will pay 400-500 for it USED! What does that tell you about the quality of many of the CURRENT compact cameras on the market when people like myself have to turn to a used camera to get all of the features it offers. (My c-5000 offers a "budget" version of the two)

If I ran a camera company and I saw that trend, I would take what the customer liked, keep it in the product and then improve on it's shortcomings. That is done just about everywhere except the digital camera world. How many times have you heard a review's conclusion wtih the words.....great camera if only they didn't.....

In a next generation, the things that people actually liked should never be eliminated. This is sadly why, canon, panasonic and sony have zoomed past the incredibley mediocre compact cameras now being produced by olympus.....afterthe c-5060 then the 7070 then the 8080......they a plunge off a cliff...when other companies started incorporatingimage stability Olympus looked the other way....and reviews have said that their low light abilities have been average at best, their shot to shot time only fair...and of course the remote was discontinued.

Yes, I dorealize that as DSLR's drop in price companies want you to invest in them and later buy their many lenses.

Maybe I expect too much...

but for what it's worth that's my opinion

gregg

PS....at some point I'll probably get a used fZ30 floating around on ebay

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:51 PM   #42

I didnt realise that about C7070's
They are well featured, with the 27mm wide lens, TTL flash and hotshoe, ESP spot and multimode, a free LCD and good autofocus. And that solid feel that only a metal chassis can provide. The TTL flash has almost never let me down, and even then only when I tried something rather foolish composition wise.

But the bulkyness is probably a liability in a market that seems to be shifting P&S to slim flat shiny extra large LCD more akin to cell phones that are also cameras now. The bulky whatya may callits are pushed between dSLRs and the new generation slimlines and as the slimlines increase in capability and dSLRs come down in price that market is narrowing.

I have always felt that theres room for another perversion based on traditional cameras pre SLR. The Leica like rangefinders of old, with interchangeable lens could be cheap and cheerfull with a wide range of performance. Great for travel, convenience and the hobbyist, and a flexible enough base to settle down and live with for awhile. Stylish enough to be trendy, and capable enough to be respected.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:52 AM   #43

well, something that really surprised me about the fz30...I just read this on a review site...you can't use both the internal flash and the external flash on the hot shoe at the same time...this, I have to admit...is a huge dissapointment...why would panasonic not allow you to use two flashes at once?...IMO that's inexcusable for a camera of this quality

even on my c-5000...I can slipmy cheap vivitar on mine and use both that and the internal flash...although I prefer the olympus fl-20 designed for it

but that brings me back to my original point with camera manufacturers...2 steps forward one step back...being able to use both flashes at the same time seems like a no brainer

the folks at panasonic realized that this would force people to buy powerful and expensive flashes if they wanted toadvantage ofthe hot shoe

gregg

PS.....Ihaven't ruled out the canon s3 even the new fuji9mp (?)...not out yet...still no stabilization though...although I admit I am still drawn to the 550mm tele at 5mp on the Panasonic...

Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:26 AM   #44

Jim:

We were chatting about those FZ50 images on another thread, especially the one with the monkeyatISO800. I came on here this morning to see if there were any other comments from anyone and the entire conversation seems to have been scrubbed! Who/what did we upset?

Now that's strange!

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:30 PM   #45

Frank, Good question! As far as I know no-one was upset? Maybe they lost interest! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:41 PM   #46

oops...sorry

I'll take responsibilty for that too....yes, we went off on a bit of a tangent

so...bringing it back to the fz50....

Does anyone know if you can use both the internal AND external flash at the same time? (I read that on the fz30 the internal was disabled when you use the external flash)

gregg

from DPreview:

"One fairly significant upgrade is that the FZ50 now supports fully dedicated TTL flash. The FZ30 was one of the only cameras in its class to offer a flash hot shoe, and the new model ups the ante...though you can, of course, still use a less expensive non-dedicated unit"
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:44 PM   #47

hmmmm..this is interesting...new today

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...leicavlux1.asp
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:46 PM   #48

Gregg, I don't remember reading anything regarding that in the manual for the 50 ?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:50 PM   #49

gregg wrote:
Quote:
hmmmm..this is interesting...new today

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...leicavlux1.asp
this should shake the tree a bit

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:14 PM   #50

Gregg & Riley, I noticed it said "(While this camera is based on the DMC-FZ50 it has had image processing adjustments as defined by Leica)", I wonder if that means they have backed off the NR or given users a way to turn it off?