Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:18 PM   #51

just a tad early to say I guess tiger
find my other post on Leica in the pana forum

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:41 PM   #52

I went to the Leica site for more info....you have to see this Leica store in Tokyo...do visitors get caviar and wine and cheese?

talk about pretentious

http://www.leica-camera.us/news/

gregg
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:49 PM   #53

gregg wrote:
Quote:
I went to the Leica site for more info....you have to see this Leica store in Tokyo...do visitors get caviar and wine and cheese?

talk about pretentious

http://www.leica-camera.us/news/

gregg
what no cognac ?
thats outrageous !

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:42 AM   #54

Well Tiger.

After gone thru these 3 pages of discussion, I haven't see any photocomparison between the FZ 30 & 50. Can you post us some obvious deficency found in the FZ50.

Thanks
creationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:10 PM   #55

Creationist, There are several posts with pictures and explanations etc. You can do a search for my posts to find all of them. Here is one to get you started. Jim

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:43 PM   #56

Nice to have some observations from someone in a position to compare cameras in the field.

I'd really like to see though, is a comparison of processed FZ30 RAW vs FZ50 RAW. I don't mind processing RAW and never had much use for JPEG anyway. With RAWs we could decide once and for all if the FZ50 can deliver visibly more detail than the FZ50 with those extra pixels. I can't get too excited over noise. For most of my film work in the good old days I created my best images at ISO 25 with Kodachromw and with my current medium format am using Velvia at ISO 100. Being restricted to ISO 200 or even 100 in order to get clean images is a "nit".

I don't care what an image looks like at 100% because no one displays them that way. I make large prints (11x14 to maybe Super A3) and my FZ30 has no problem making excellent, sharp images to that size on glossy paper. If the FZ50 can deliver even just a bit more detail (in RAW, of course) thatmight give the photographer some additional post-processing room to play with and might be worth the upgrade. But how do we know unless someone tests?

best wishes,

mm
mmosaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:04 PM   #57

MM, I'm pretty sure the RAW images from the 50 would look ok as they then would have bypassed the venus III processing. I'm sorry that I didn't check that out when I had the camera! Jim
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:55 PM   #58

Hi Jim,

I already have Sylkypix for use with the 30 and really enjoy using it. It's a high-powered product. I wonder if Panasonic is trying to send us a not-so-subtle message: for the point and shoot crowd you get a nice, smooth image at almost any ISO via Venus III but for the perfectionist, head straight for RAW and Sylkypix. Even with the discountPanasonic would get, Sylkypix is possibly the most expensive software I have seen in a camera package and tossing it in the box was no random choice. I may just buy a 50 and do some tests. My store has a very generous returns policy although I kind of hate to "rent" in that way.

best wishes,

mmosaik
mmosaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:15 PM   #59

MM, If you do get th camera be sure and let us know how your tests with the RAW files turn out. Jim
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:27 PM   #60

for what it's worth...

I don't remember if I posted this link..a review of the FZ50

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicFZ50/

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote