Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:47 PM   #61

ok, now I know this is a panasonic forum....BUT...here we go again!!!!!

canon.....one step forward 2 steps back...new G series camera with a 200mm max lens, 10mp.....BUT they take away two of the features the G series was known for: the wireless remote and the swing out LCD

I'd love to meet the designers of digital cameras. I'm convinced that many of them are NOT camera lovers or photographers...who in their right mind would say...hey you know the things people liked in our previous model, let's get rid of it.....?

just my opinion

gregg...
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:49 PM   #62

Gregg, I think you painted a pretty good picture of the designers! I don't think they want to make us happy...just frustrated ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:43 PM   #63

http://wwwabcnews.go.com/technology

Looks like the Leica V LUX 1 will be just under a$1,000 whereas the FZ50 is about $600 or more.

And I don't know why the link doesn't work.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:40 AM   #64

you left out the period after www......but it still doesn't open to the story for some reason

this should work

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=2448537

from ABCnews.go.com:

"When asked about the differences between the Leicas and the Panasonics, the Leica product manager said that physically they were identical, but that the firmware on the Leicas is more sophisticated. Also, the included software, which includes Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0, is more robust and the Leica warranty is longer."

gregg
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:38 PM   #65

Has anyone heard of a release date for the Leica ?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:57 AM   #66

The LEICA V-LUX 1 will be available from the end of October 2006

http://www.leica-camera.us/photograp...meras/v-lux_1/

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:17 PM   #67

Thanks Riley. I see it's also reported to be selling for $800 to $849 as stated on two different reports. Hope we see some sample imges ...soon! Jim
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:04 AM   #68

Very interesting forum this, I have an FZ30 and was considering upgrading to the 50 but now am not so sure! Then came accross the Leica and now am totally befuddled! I read somewhere on a forum (not in Steve's site) that "the Leica is just a good looking FZ50" which is a fair point. I believe also that the Leica comes with a bigger memory card and extra software over the 50 but still cannot work out if it is worth the extra outlay. I guess in time that there will be a direct comparison between the VLux1 and the FZ50, then I can get REALLY confused! Then again I am an Englishman so confusion comes with the territory lol.

Best wishes to all
PS Have attached a pic showing noise difference between FZ30 and FZ50 if anyone is interested
Attached Images

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:27 AM   #69

kriptone wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting forum this, I have an FZ30 and was considering upgrading to the 50 but now am not so sure! Then came accross the Leica and now am totally befuddled! I read somewhere on a forum (not in Steve's site) that "the Leica is just a good looking FZ50" which is a fair point. I believe also that the Leica comes with a bigger memory card and extra software over the 50 but still cannot work out if it is worth the extra outlay. I guess in time that there will be a direct comparison between the VLux1 and the FZ50, then I can get REALLY confused! Then again I am an Englishman so confusion comes with the territory lol.

Best wishes to all
PS Have attached a pic showing noise difference between FZ30 and FZ50 if anyone is
interested
Welcome!
we believe the Leica has different firmware, thing is no-one really knows yet, so I wouldnt ever return to reviews of that nature. It will be reviewed reputably somewhere soon I would think.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:05 PM   #70

found this mini-review

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-quick06.shtml