Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:40 PM   #81

Riley, I didn't hear they were going to buy Olympus, but I did hear that there was was licensing aggreements and arrangements to swap some key features. It would be interesting if they did buy 'O' ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:51 PM   #82

Are the FZ30 and FZ50 using the same battery ?
mage813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:52 PM   #83

well lets see first, Ive been checking out the source and it doesnt entirely add up but for 1 thing. I emailed a broker out east, (they are often privy to these things) and he tells me the O stock has been going up since the 11th Sept, but he denys that there is any info on such a move.

Untill I get to the bottom of the source, rumours are rumours

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:16 PM   #84

Mage, Yes both cameras 30 and 50 use the same battery! Jim
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:35 PM   #85

Thanks for your fast answer. So its agood news for me. I ll upgrade from FZ30 to the FZ50 (i had FZ10 & 20 in the past). I am really happy of the picturesmade withthe FZ30 but last week in Peru i had a bad issue. 2 days before see Cuzco andMachu Pichu the FZ30 refused to be power on... I let you imagine my joy.

It s second time this cam does that. The first was near 1 year ago, 3 weeks after i bought it. Could be a bad serie sold in Europe because i heard of other peoplehaving the problem.

So if FZ50 keep same battery and accept same lens (i bought a 3X, DCR250 Raynox and an Hoya 0 uv) i can save lot money.

Thanks to all for all review collected. I can only add the fact that some hardware sites in France did a review of the FZ50 and are happy of it even with the critics i saw here. The FZ50 as other FZ is a good product for its price and especially if you not want or can t bring a big bag with zoom lens.
mage813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:05 AM   #86

Hi all,

I, since a week or two, also own an FZ50. It was my first encounter with a prosumer type of camera. I used to use a canon S45 before this one, and decided I needed/wanted an upgrade with a bit more controllability. I got exactly that, and I'm very happy with the camera.

I was looking for some pointers on how to edit the pictures to make them look better. I found out the "watercolor effect" can quite easily be removed by softening the image a bit. And if you sharpen it a little after, you end up with a much nicer looking picture. I'm not an editing guru, so maybe any of you have some pointers on how to get even better results? I realise that softening the picture causes a loss in picture detail, there should be better ways to get the same result.

I also read about the leica camera, which amazed me! I hope, if the only difference is the software, the FZ50 might be upgradable to the leica, by just doing a software update? I guess they do it via the USB cable or SD card? I never did a software update of a camera though, does panasonic ever do software updates? Is it likely that this would be possible.

btw. I actually ordered an FZ30, but got the FZ50. The story is, I decided for the FZ30 at the time the FZ50 wasn't anounced yet. I went on vacation, and when I got back I ordered the FZ30. 2 weeks later, the supplier said the FZ30 couldn't be delivered, but they could give me the FZ50 for just a bit more than the FZ30. I quickly did some research and decided it was ok.

I'll keep watching this thread, and visit the forum more often, it's a nice resource!
CrashTestDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:47 PM   #87

Crash Test, Hope you have better luck than I did trying to make the picture quality better! The camera itself is almost identical to the FZ30 with themain difference being the 10mp sensor and the venus III engine. As to the quality of the pictures I found the FZ30 to have a MUCH better picture. As there hasen't been any sample pictures from the Leica yet, no one knows if the picture quality has improved by tweaking the software. IMO they would have been better off in keeping the sensor size to 6 to 8mps and installing the venus III software with a less aggressive NR. Anyway I hope you enjoy the camera. Jim
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:07 PM   #88

Im thinking that there may well be licences or agreements that could get in the way of publicly making available Leica firmware for Pana cameras. In any event, even using Leica updates could prove risky. Really the only hope is that Pana do something about it themselves.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:25 AM   #89

Mostly I resize the pictures for usable internet resolutions, so they almost never exceed 1mp. Occasionally I crop a bit, but having the 12x zoomeffectively eliminates this need for me.

It would be nice however to be able to view the pictures at higher resolutions for those exceptional shots that occasionally pop up.

As I said before, with some light editing the water color effect disappears easily, and the picture becomes a lot more pleasant to look at.I believe the information is in the picture, butit just doesnt come out very good for the eye.

You van view the images I took 1 day after getting the camera, without reading the manual (still havent read it *shame*), and without any practice. Just took it out the box, popped in a 1GB card, and went shooting.

http://www.dsf-awards.nl/gallery/thu...s.php?album=30

It's a gods gift compared to my S45, when it comes to handling!
CrashTestDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:03 PM   #90

Crash Test, You did a good job with your cycle action shots! Jim