Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:04 AM   #11

Having seen enough of Tiger's work, ISO was the first thing that came to mind. Higher ISOs can certainly give such results. exif is always a help though.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:18 AM   #12

Tazzie, Thanks for commenting. I agree with you regarding a high ISO can cause similar results, as can many other factors and settings. But remember I'm taking over 800 pictures at all different settings in an effort to improve the picture quality so I could jusitfy to myself keeping the camera. I found the same or similar problem in all the pictures I took. IMO the quality was much worse than that of my 30. I felt that what I found should be posted so that others interested in the camera would be aware of what I found and check into it further and from other sources before making a decision to buy. I don't and didn't expect anyone to rely on my opinion alone. Jim

ExposureTime : 1/320Sec
FNumber : F3.7
ExposureProgram : Program Normal
ISOSpeedRatings : 200
ExifVersion : 0221
DateTimeOriginal : 2006:09:07 08:57:58
DateTimeDigitized : 2006:09:07 08:57:58
ComponentConfiguration : YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel : 4/1 (bit/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
MaxApertureValue : F2.8
MeteringMode : Division
LightSource : Unidentified
Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)
FocalLength : 88.80(mm)
FlashPixVersion : 0100
ColorSpace : Uncalibrated
ExifImageWidth : 800
ExifImageHeight : 600
SensingMethod : OneChipColorArea sensor
FileSource : DSC
SceneType : A directly photographed image
CustomRendered : Normal process
ExposureMode : Auto
WhiteBalance : Auto
DigitalZoomRatio : 0/10
FocalLength(35mm) : 420(mm)
SceneCaptureType : Standard
GainControl : Low gain up
Contrast : Normal
Saturation : Normal
Sharpness : Normal

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:05 AM   #13

Thanks Jim.

Bear hit it on the head in your other thread. The base noise reduction program is killing the definition due to tiny pixels, too many on such a small sensor even at ISO 200. (lack of light to the pixel and heat) Little suckers are just cramed too close to each other.

As you know, at present, this can't be corrected.... i.e. improved without enlarging the sensor and that can't be done without enlarging the lens system. I really don't expect that Panasonic will revert to fewer pixels either.

You've no doubt helped everyone here and hopefully Mr. Lumix. Meanwhile, as Panasonic is playing the game as Rocky mentioned, many of us have had it. Low light at reasonable speed with little or no noise are very important to me.

I can clearly hear marketing telling engineering to shut up and do as they are told. Just like home.

Cheers. P.S. still enjoy the fine photos I see from you guys here.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:23 AM   #14

Well said Jim and helpful.

No problem extracting exif data. Perhaps Jacks hasn't downloaded the exif program

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:59 AM   #15

Hi Jim, I replied to your last post before seeing this one. Sorry it didn't work out with the FZ50. I get the exif info on the shots on my computer. Would not make anydifference anyway. You've posted enough excellent photos here to prove your ability with any camera. I chose to learn from your expierence and stay with my FZ20. That being said,do you thinkthere is enough difference in thr FZ30 over the 20 for me to justify the expense? I think you upgraded from the FZ20. What were the main things you liked better about the FZ30.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:04 AM   #16

Thanks for the support Tazzie! Jim
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:05 AM   #17

Thanks Fred ! Guess I just took offense to the way Jacks presented his comments! Jim
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:18 AM   #18

Don, I really appreciate your response! Your right I did upgade from the FZ20 to the 30. I felt the 20 was an excellent camera and gave me excellent pictures. I was hesitant to upgrade to the 30 after hearing all the hype about the noise! I can honestly say that I have found the 30 gives me higher quality photos and the noise hasn't been an issue at all ! If I get a picture with some noise I can remove it with no problem using one of the many NR programs available. The manual zoom and focus are also features I wouldn't want to give up. The LCD with variable positions is a definite plus. I find that this camera is as close to a DSLR as I need with none of the negative things like dust and lens changing, not to mention expense! I've taken over 20K pictures with the 30 and if I had to chose between the 20 and 30 again I would take the 30 ! Thats just my personal opinion. However I wouldn't hesitate for a second to encourage you to get a 30 ! I know you would love it. As to the 50 I was extremely dissappointed that it didn't measure up to the 30 or the 20 ! It has some features I wish the 30 had and I would have kept it if the picture quality had been ONLY as good as the 30. Jim
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:12 PM   #19

OPANDA works dandy with Internet Explorer, but not so well with FireFox.

Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:40 PM   #20

Thanks Tazzie! Jim