Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:05 PM   #21

Thanks again Tiger.

Now that is bad for a ISO 200 but I initially thought it was a ISo 100, in which case it would have been horrible.

Everyone of us knows that a 100 % image from a 10MP with a given CCD cannot be better than a8 Mp one from the same size sensor.

I hope FZ30 will still be available when I decide to get one as FZ10 still where, when I took my 20.

Nar
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:58 PM   #22

Hi Jim

Thanks for the update mate. This smearing of detail and reducing IQ is down to Venus III. I just read a review of the L1 in a UK print magazine and Venus III is doign the same but to a lesser degree with the DLSR. An example that they showed was a small crop 100% of a pic of a male musician taken at ISO400 - the in camera jpeg seemed to be pretty good until you saw the RAW file that the L1 produced. The RAW file from L1 really showed how much detail was being removed by Venus III - you could see individula pores of this guys face in the RAW file but with the jpeg you would never have noticed that they were there. My concern with the FZ50 and Simons review at dp was that over ISO200 colour esp red was smearing away something that the earleir cam's definetely did not - noise yes but not smear. I would like to see what the RAW files from the FZ50 would produce but its clear from what Jim's stated that the FZ30 at 8MP is the better cam if IQ is what your looking for.

On my own personal stand - as long as my FZ10 works I will keep shooting with it and when Pana brings a UZ to the table that really puts IQ to the top of the list I will be more than happy to buy one.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:07 PM   #23

Narmer. It was a big disappointment to me also! I highly recommend the FZ30, I think the black camera is hard to find but seem to be some silver ones still out there. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:11 PM   #24

HarjTT, I haven't lost faith in the Panasonic FZ cameras but really am disappointed that they tried to push such bad image quality in a new camera! I'll be looking forward to see what they do to to redeem themselfs! Jim
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:15 PM   #25

Hi Jim

I'm with you on that mate - I'm just hope that pana wake to IQ instead of MP and that existing Fluzi owners want to upgrade to another and better FZ.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:47 PM   #26

HarjTT, Lets keep our fingers crossed!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:49 PM   #27

I am happy with my FZ30 :-)

TWO HOURS AFTER MIDNIGHT

Attached Images

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:57 PM   #28

Me TOO Donal ! :-) Neat picture! Jim
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:31 AM   #29

Hello folks,

This is a very interesting thread - generally there's a big spread of opinion about the FZ50. I'd love to try one out for myself but I've not found a dealer willing to cooperate in the UK.

I was pretty well impressed by the shots at:

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/panasonicfz50_samples2/

especially by the ISO800 shot at full extension, a monkey or similar,(5th from the left of the bunch).

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:47 AM   #30

Phranque, I took a look at that photo, looks better than any I was able to get with the camera! Tried to look at the Exif file but it wasn't there! I would have to question the valitity of the picture !!! Just my opinion based on the 800 pictures I took with the camera! Attached is a 200% crop of a picture from the 50 with low NR.
Attached Images