Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:36 PM   #1

Some have commented that they haven't really seen what the good or quality of the FZ50 provided. This is just one sample, not scientific, of what I found with the FZ50 when enlarging the pictures. First shot shows a reporter. Second shot show same picture with 100% crop, note the smearing of the hair with no to little detail showing. These are things I didn't find when I enlarged the FZ30 pictures. Keep in mind I wanted the 50 to produce better quality pictures than the 30 because I wanted to keep the camera! But when I found the quality wasn't as good as the 30 I sent it back! Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:37 PM   #2

#2 If one was to print the original picture they probably would be happy with it, or maybe not! But looking closer as in #2 shows the lack of detail and softness. This was with NR turned as low as it will go!
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, I don't think I will be trying the FZ50. I may just keep the FZ15, buy another lens and wait for the next round of FZ upgrade. Thanks again, you are the one that finally convinced me.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4

Ted, Really sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news! The whole thing has given me a deeper appreciation for the image quality of the FZ30 ! Jim
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:58 PM   #5

tiger...it is great to have experienced people like you to show off the differences of these cameras for us beginners who may not know where to look when first purchasing a new Panasonic!!! thanx....
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments Annie! Jim
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:11 AM   #7

seems Panny has fallen into themegapixel trap, thinking that adding a couple of Mp and a few horns and whistles will be all it takes to entice people to buy their latest model. pity... the FZ's started out as really excellent cameras, and for those of us who have the FZ10/20/30, they still are. but i'm guessing once word gets out that the FZ50 isn't even as good as its predecessor, much less better, Panny will start to lose sales, and maybe they'll start to see the light!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:25 AM   #8

Lets hope so Squirl !
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:31 AM   #9

Er, there is no exif data here. This is a handheld pic at who-knows-what zoom taken with mystery settings.
How are we supposed to tell if this an example of a poor camera or a poor photographer?
There are many, many factors that could cause the softness in the 100% crop and a lot of these will be present regardless of the camera.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:54 AM   #10

Jacks, As I stated this was just one isolated, un-scientific sample of one of the things I found wrong with the picture quality of the 50. I took almost 800 pictures with the camera trying all known settings, hand held and tripod, trying to convince myself to keep the camera! I purchased the camera because I thought it would be an improvement over my FZ30. What I found, (IMO), was a picture which was inferior to the 30. I certainly would not have gone to the trouble of buying the camera in order to phoney the quality of the pictures, or to deceive anyone as to what I thought the quality is! I wanted the quality to be be better because I wanted the camera and it's new features. Sorry if you got the wrong impression. If you feel I'm trying influence you or anyone else in whether you should buy the camera, your wrong! I merely was trying to evaluate the camera and pass along what I found so anyone interested could use my impressions in anyway they wanted. I've stated from the start that the quality of the pictures was IMO only and a decision to buy or not to buy shouldn't be based on on what I think. Bottom line is I was VERY disappointed in the picture quality when the picture was enlarged. My 30 doesn't have that problem. By the way this wasn't the first photo I've taken in my life and I did use a tripod and the EXIF info is with the picture, not stripped, so perhaps I'm not the poor photographer! Thanks for your comments! Jim