Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:05 PM   #1

south central Idaho is full of tiny little towns... just "settlements", really... out in the middle of nowhere, with no visible means of support. Clayton is a place like that... it was started back in the late1800's when a fellow named - oddly enough - Clayton discovered valuable metals in the nearby rocks, and set up a smelter there. over the years, the town grew, and the smelter provided a living for the residents. but the smelter closed in the mid-1900's. the town subsisted on silver mining in the nearby hills till a cave-in in the 1980's closed the mine. what supports the town now can be seen in the following photos... two bars and a souvenir shop/cafe...

looking north coming into town...

and south on the way out of town...

just how small IS Clayton?? well...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:22 AM   #2

Ha, population 26 people and they have 2 bars :G
golovemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:41 AM   #3

Fantastic clear sharp shots , can you tell me what settings you use on your fz 20, and that invcludes sharpness noise reduction saturation ect as well as A ans S settings you prefer, many thanks for posting your great results, btw i cant / dont pp just straight from the camera me ,and advice most gratefully recieved, best from Fz 20 ive seen your wonderfull pics,thanks indeed rodo uk.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:35 AM   #4

Great photos and I also find humor in the small towns......heres 2

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic clear sharp shots , can you tell me what settings you use on your fz 20, and that invcludes sharpness noise reduction saturation ect as well as A ans S settings you prefer, many thanks for posting your great results, btw i cant / dont pp just straight from the camera me ,and advice most gratefully recieved, best from Fz 20 ive seen your wonderfull pics,thanks indeed rodo uk.
thanks, Rodo... i used to usethe manual modes more, but since i got my Canon 30D, i usually use my FZ20 in "P" mode - if i want to capture fast action, i use my DSLR. i do use "A" mode occasionally, if i want tochange DOF, but i find the best settings in "A" mode seems to be between f4.0 and f6.7. i leave the internal settings for sharpness setto high, all other "picture quality" settings at normal. i leave ISO set at 100, since i've found i almost never absolutely need a higher setting. (see photo below for an example) i never use the "scene" modes. i use mostly center-weighted metering, though sometimes i use spot metering if lighting conditions warrant it. i leave the focus mode set to "1-area" most of the time, except if i have to try to focus on something small against a confusing background, like a bird sitting in foliage. i also use manual focus at times, especially if i want to focus on one thing, but meter on something else.

hope this helps!

cheers,
Rocky

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6

Thank you ill try those settings love my new fz 20 . I returned my canon 350 dslr , rubish kit lens cheap and nasty build ugh,and great expence to buy silly priced canon lenses that could not even match the panny lens 2.8 throughout, Sure if you need doff but i dont like it at all. or speed dont need that,then dslr but its all so expensive so much to haul and a bit dinasoar , ie changing lenses seemsso silly and well uncool in this day and age ,and the fz 20/ 30 / 50are such a bargain and light and easy to carryand convinient against all that messing aboutwith the dslr all my opinion though of course , im gona keepthe Fz 20and learn it , if i can take pics like yours its wonderfull all most need / want. And Mr canon and other dslr entry makesare not gona get my hard earned for his plast cash cow dslr entry crappy build dslrand toy kit lens ect , So thanks again for your dslr killing pics from your fz 20 simply superb imo, Sure i understand your canon is semi progear but for amatures like me and many others entry modeldslr is not needed imowith the pannys giving such great pics for so small outlay( all just my point of view btw) , rodo uk .(sorry edited bad speller me !
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote