Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1

while trudging up the stairs to my room at Redfish Lodge, with cameras hung from each shoulder, and a camera bag, i somehow managed to drop my FZ20. it tumbled down the stairs, bouncing about 5 times before coming to rest on the landing. the stairs were carpeted, fortunately, but those were still some pretty good jolts. luckily, the camera was turned off, and the lens was retracted (though the Phayee adapter would have protected it in any case). anyway, after retrieving it as hastily as social propriety allowed, i checked it out, and it functioned perfectly! kudos to Panasonic for making these cameras rugged enough to withstand some pretty significant abuse!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:25 AM   #2

I know Rocky...You are fishing for a FZ30!

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:28 AM   #3

About a week after buying my FZ20 I went to a big barbeque. I got a big plate of food and a cup of beer, with the camera hanging around my neck. The plate was in my left hand and the beer in my right hand. As I was walking back to the table, the food on the plate shifted. Without thinking, I tried to stabilize the plate with my right hand. About half the beer spilled onto the camera. I quickly wiped off the camera, which was off, and took out the battery just to be safe. I let the camera dry in the warm sun for around 2 hours. I then put the battery back in, crossed my fingers, and turned the camera on. The LCD screen came on, with the scene in front of the lens clearly displayed. However, none of the controls worked at all. I thought the camera was "history". The nextday I bought a can ofquick drying electrical contact spray cleaner at a auto parts store andcarefully sprayed the controls a few times, being extra carefull to protect the lens and LCD from the spray. I waited a short time to let the cleaning spray to evaporate. I then turned the camera back on, and the camera was just fine!
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4

Bootneck3 wrote:
Quote:
I know Rocky...You are fishing for a FZ30!

Fred
LOL! actually, Fred, considering the results the FZ20 has given me, i have no desire at all for an FZ30... if i need more than the FZ20 can do, i use the Canon. (actually, truth be told, i use the Canon more anyway... but sometimes, the shots from the FZ actually come out better! go figure...).if something catastrophic happened to my FZ20, i'd replace it, but i honestly can't say whether i'd get an FZ30 or another '20... the '20s are a lot cheaper now, and i really don't believe there's any appreciable difference in image quality...

PTB, you were lucky. beer is a sticky mess when it dries, and i'm amazed you were able to clean the controls, even with contact cleaner. still, i'm gaining a new appreciation for the ruggedness of the FZ20. it's definitely my choice (as opposed to my 30D) for situations where it might get banged around a bit...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote