Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:05 AM   #1

Well may as well show some more insect pics. I like to get out and take pics of them after work, but the weather isnt exactly great for them as its not too far off winter and soon there wont be many about.

I am trying more and more Manual shooting and fast shutter speeds with high f stops (f8-11 ussually) and always with flash still as the weather is too dark and cloudy for not using it. I want more exciting insects to find like Dragon Flys etc.. but really Fly, Spider and the odd freaky looking things are about all I can find at the moment.

Click the Pics for Bigger views :G Click All Sizes for the Big pics

'>

'>

'>

'>

'>

Bugger I spelt With wrong!!
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2

I like these, you are really coming on with these macros, which flash are you using, are you bouncing or defusing, some are a little strong (the flash I mean), but I really like the sort of candid first one as if you are sneeking up on him/her, well I suppose you were really!!

Thanks for the pics.
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3

I am just using the flash built in on full blast, I know I over flash a lot of them sadly. But messing about difusing the light is too much work I think and the results may be far worse if they are underlit. Its a hard thing to even think about using a defuser when you see an insect, you have a few seconds to get ready for the shot and it either works or it doesnt I find.

Its a shame the camera doenst know when to lessen the flash for me instead of me having to think about it all the time but I know I have spoilt some great shots by blowing the picture apart with way to much flash. Photoshop helps, but a lot of the time you can do nothing sadly. Thats why I take as many as I can, as one may turn out perfect and the rest may be bad, but as long as I get 1 picture I dont mind.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:33 AM   #4

romerojpg: super photos...where in the U*K do you take bug photos like that this time of year??? their colours continue to amaze me!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:46 AM   #5

These types of insects are always around really, esspecially many types of Fly. They are in the house even, little bugers. My main point of photo taking seems to be near a river, as they are very varied down by the water, problem is you have to wait a long time for them to come to me. The special insects like Dragon Flys and really big beasts and beatles I never seem to see.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:11 PM   #6

Oh you havnt overdone them, some are a little bright, but for onboard flash I am impressed! I recently got a sunpak, although I havnt tried it yet, one thing I use to do with my onboard flash was make a ring of white paper and slide it over the flash to sort of difuse it a little, worked with some but not with others.

Looking forward to the next installment!
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:33 PM   #7

Very nice! Really enjoy seeing your posts. Keep shooting. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:49 PM   #8

Very nice captures on all of them Romero! #4 looks like a little dragon. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:42 AM   #9

Very nice series, greaT the first one with that white beam on the bckgr.

You should have stopped some light in the last pic.

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:41 AM   #10

Good pictures Romero, Number one is my favorite. The last one is overexposed using the on-board flash. I had the same problem and I startedusing a tissue/napkin to defuse the flash. Try-it, it works.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote