Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:22 PM   #1

Some of you may have remembered that I was heading to Southern Africa for a holiday. Well I have returned now but the sad news is that I no longer have my FZ10. I gave to camera to my partner to use for the trip (I had my new 350D) but she left it in the taxi from the airport back home! So it survived a month in Africa only to be lost on the last leg of the trip. The real bugger is that all her photos were on the memory card in the camera! We have tried calling the taxi company but it is no use, it is gone.

I was planning on doing a bit of a comparison of the two cameras while I was over there but the 350D is such a joy to use that it never left my hand.

I do kind of miss it though.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:05 AM   #2

Mixed feelings - nice to hear from you after a long time, but sad to learn you lost your dear FZ10. May be you should go in for FZ30/50?
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:00 AM   #3

Hi Raghu,

I actually have a Canon 350D so the FZ10 really became my backup camera and so I doubt if it will be replaced. Also once you have experienced the true joy of using a DSLR there is no going back.

Treemonkey
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:39 PM   #4

Tree

Glad to see ya had a good time in Africa but I'm sorry top hear you loose the FZ10 and not get the pics off the camera before hand. I've picked up an OLy E1 thats paired up with the FZ10 and both are ticking along nicely. A lot to learn with the E1 so thats taking more of my shooting time but I have both cam's with me when I go out.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 5:42 AM   #5

I am sorry for that, Treemonkey, also for we have lost you from this forum.

We all know about the greater quality of dSLRs like 350D and its "major sisters".
Better DOF control, res, colors, DynRange, less noise and many things more.
Long zoom nature shots from dSLR cannot be compared with those from small ccds UZs. In macro reign things get less distant, but still nothing beats dSLR macros with F/16 and great IQ.

The problem is always the same: with FZs you can often feel the lack of a more compact in some situations. Similarly, you will find yourself too heavy with sDLR and optics and in some situations you ll renounce to bring it or one of the lenses with you.

Many of us will surely end up with a dSLR to couple with the UZ (like HarjTT and Squirl033). I ll do this in a few years, but for now I will go on with the FZ20, and eventually a FZ30 later this year.

Narmer

PS for all the Photocameras owners:
Never overextimate yourself.
Before leaving that lens, camera or synchro cable on a rock, or on a restaurant chair or elsewhere, don't be so sure you'll remember that.
Leave it in a visible and safe place.
Also always be sure that, while you are doing something you still have your camera neckstrap on the neck (last sunday I forgot I have my FZ and strap in my hands and I let it go down, but luckily that stone did not break anything in it).
Sometimes cam bags can contain more $ in accessories than the value of the cam itself. Better to avoid these unpleasant situations.

Nar
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments guys. While I do love my 350D I certainly realise the benefits of the FZ10, in terms of a compact package there is nothing better. Saying that I am more than happy to carry around a couple of lenses. My new kit includes a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5, Canon 50mm f1.8 and a canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS. This covers the range of the FZ and a bit more and isnt a huge kit to carry. Often I will just pick one lens and use that.
I will still check in on the forum every now and again to see what the gossip is!
I put a few photos of my Africa trip up on a new website I am trying to set up so if anyone is interested feel free to have a look.

www.kiwishooter.com/Africa

Treemonkey
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:05 AM   #7

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Hi Raghu,

I actually have a Canon 350D so the FZ10 really became my backup camera and so I doubt if it will be replaced. Also once you have experienced the true joy of using a DSLR there is no going back.

Treemonkey

Hey Simon,

Sorry to hear that the FZ10 is no longer. I too went the way fo the dSLR, in fact, I went with two. Pentax and Nikon. I guess it all depends on what you want in capturing images and most of all what you can afford.

I used my FZ1v2 when I went home and found that I enjoyed the simplicity and ease of use it provides. I love the dSLR but I can't say I won't go back to using my FZ's either.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:07 AM   #8

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry for that, Treemonkey, also for we have lost you from this forum.

We all know about the greater quality of dSLRs like 350D and its "major sisters".
Better DOF control, res, colors, DynRange, less noise and many things more.
Long zoom nature shots from dSLR cannot be compared with those from small ccds UZs. In macro reign things get less distant, but still nothing beats dSLR macros with F/16 and great IQ.

The problem is always the same: with FZs you can often feel the lack of a more compact in some situations. Similarly, you will find yourself too heavy with sDLR and optics and in some situations you ll renounce to bring it or one of the lenses with you.

Many of us will surely end up with a dSLR to couple with the UZ (like HarjTT and Squirl033). I ll do this in a few years, but for now I will go on with the FZ20, and eventually a FZ30 later this year.

Narmer

PS for all the Photocameras owners:
Never overextimate yourself.
Before leaving that lens, camera or synchro cable on a rock, or on a restaurant chair or elsewhere, don't be so sure you'll remember that.
Leave it in a visible and safe place.
Also always be sure that, while you are doing something you still have your camera neckstrap on the neck (last sunday I forgot I have my FZ and strap in my hands and I let it go down, but luckily that stone did not break anything in it).
Sometimes cam bags can contain more $ in accessories than the value of the cam itself. Better to avoid these unpleasant situations.

Nar

Francesco,

I experienced having my FZ10 flip out of its bag and hit the pavement. I was stunned that it happened and thought the camera was a goner. Since then I make sure all my cams and equipment is stowed away and secured before I pick up and go.

Thanks for posting this as it may save some real heartache for some who may not be so lucky.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote