Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:59 PM   #11

Very nice jumper pics.

I agree with Willow1 that the colors with the brown "scheme" is especially nice.
I usually have a heck of a time with the jumpers because they are just so dang tiny!
You done good, though!

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:38 PM   #12

Always amazing how similar the species in america are compared to those in the "old" part of the world.
This is a "simple" +8 achromat:

http://sgsg.zoto.com/img/original/33...06aa76dbe-.jpg

I like your hunting scene. Good job!
Still searching for hunting and jumping here ;-)

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:54 PM   #13

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Quote:
i will like to know how you did those great macros , im having problems with macros with my Fz7 . its almost imposible to Focus correctly if you are close to the subject . because the manual focus doesnt let you focus less than 6 Ft from the subject if you use the Zoom ...neither the AF

I dont know if you understand me . My english is not that good ...

Ill apreciate some tips for Doing Macro shots with this camera .

Thanks and Awsome macros.
I don't use the macro mode on the camera very often. The only advice I could give you when using the macro mode is to use autofocus and set the camera to spot focus. If I remember correctly the telephoto macro modehas a minimum distance of about 3 ft, but that is only at full 12X zoom. It works well for larger subjects like butterflies and dragonflies, but to capture smaller subjects you will need a close up lens (achromat).A close up lens will allow the camera to focus at shorter distances whilestill being able to use thezoom. The jumping spidershots were taken with three close up lenses stacked on the camera. The lens wasabout 2-3 inches from the spider for these shots.

This is the best I have been able to do using the cameras telephoto macro mode. The dragonfly was about 3-4 feet from the camera lens, but I couldnt get any closer without a ladder.

vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:09 PM   #14

Sven,

Thanks for the comment!

I've seen six different types of jumping spider just in my back yard. One of them looks almost exactly like yours, I'm still trying to get good pictures of all the different types. It is so hard to get them to sit still for a photograph.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:26 PM   #15

My leica lens has some kind of doolittle effect.
The insects, birds and all the others "freeze" and admire their picture in this reflecting lens!
No chance for action shots......

We should encourage everybody to use the inbuilt macro functions of the small FZs.
The 70cm tele macro mode helps in many situations and even a 4*zoom can be quite close to the scene as shown in my diagramms:

http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/ach...mats.html#view

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:02 PM   #16

No "doolittle effect" here, especially with jumping spiders. I can't tell you how many times I have been setting up a shot one minute, thentrying to get the spider to jump off the lens or flash the next.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:07 AM   #17

thanks vaiboy for the advice .. im a newbie and i just getting use to my new Camera .i have to learn from the pros
Mrclean06 is offline   Reply With Quote