Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:01 PM   #11

Well ...I'll be darned .....I wonder if it is any different than the FZ50?

Anyone know the price?

The more I look at the specs... it seems to be the same as the FZ50......I do not think leica can magically make the noise disappear.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:27 PM   #12

Gene, I noticed it said "(While this camera is based on the DMC-FZ50 it has had image processing adjustments as defined by Leica)", that may mean they have backed off the NR or given users a way to turn it off, or at least changed the settings!? Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:22 PM   #13

ThanksJim ...I will bet some of us will be watching this camera.....any Idea how long it takes leica to get these on the market?

Someone else said maybe it actually has a Warranty
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:58 PM   #14

Gene, Other than their lens I don't know much about the company. But I would think they are aware of the problems with the FZ50 and that's why they mentioned in their news release that the image processing adjustments are defined by Leica! I hope there is more info soon as I would be very interested in it if the problem has been addressed. Jim
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:58 PM   #15

Leica are a long time top end low volume producer of cameras and associated optical equipment. The company, formerly Ernst Leitz GmbH, is now three companies: Leica Camera AG, Leica Geosystems AG, and Leica Microsystems GmbH.

The company has just moved through some very difficult times assisted by a reorganisation of its manufacturing and philosophical approach. The push to digital has been somewhat responsible for their survival. Leica cameras are the favourite tool of combat photographers, with ruggedness, quality and reliability being a hallmark of the design. They are the Mercedes of cameras in every sense of the word.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:13 PM   #16

Thanks for the info Riley! Makes me believe even more that they will have a better approach to the venus III problem. Jim
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:29 PM   #17

Don't forget, the FX01 came out rebranded as a Leica C-Lux 1, and cost nearly double the FX01. Leica charges more for the name, but usually throws in a decent size memory card, and extra software (Adobe PS Elements I think). I can see the V-Lux 1 retailing at around $999. Don't know if that's worth any improvement to the "image processing" parameters over the FZ50. I bought into the FZ line (started with FZ20)precisely for the price point and performance compared to a dSLR.
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:48 PM   #18

HarjTT was saying

"Pricewise its priced at 800 euro's so about 15% higher than the FZ50 - the price difference usually includes a 2 year warranty, a large SD card (possibly 1GB) and some other goodies.. ooo and the red dot."

I dont know what his source is, but he seems to have the Leica prices nailed, just hope it doesnt take forever coming so we get a look see from a reviewer.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:54 PM   #19

Pricing in Europe vs the States is often much different. I have no idea where Mr. Waltz41 lives......

I'm just saying, in the US, the retail pricing of theFX01 was $399 USD, the Leica C-lux 1 was $695. I would expect a similar structure, so if FZ50 is $649, won't the V-lux 1 be around $1000-1200 USD?
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:38 PM   #20

http://wwwabcnews.go.com/technology

Looks like the Leica V LUX 1 will be just under a$1,000 whereas the FZ50 is about $650.

And I don't know why the link doesn't work.

I posted the aboveabout a half an hour ago (E time 11p.m.))on the other thread about the FZ50 but thought it more in line with the current talk about Leica.

I googled some information on the VLUX 1 and came up with the link at the top. Of course it doesn't work as a link now. If you type in the information (in your browser)you will go to the link but I'llbe darned if I could locatethe''V'' informationagain on Science and Technology. I knew I should have cut and pasted the information.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote