Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:28 AM   #1

Hello.

I've finally come down to the conclusion of buying a panasonic dmc-FZ camera. i'm am upgrading from an old olympus c740 ultra zoom so this camera, which ever i decide i'm sure i'm going to be happy with the upgrade. now, at first when i started to research, i didn't know anything about the FZ50 that was or just came out......so I was going to go with the FZ30. Now the 50 is out, and at some places it looks like I can get it for under $100 more than the 30. What should I do? I thought to go with the 50 because it's the latest, but want to make sure, because even $100 is a memory card or two.

Any thoughts?

Brian
Waltz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:55 AM   #2

Well, I don't know your personal shooting preferences, but I will offer this. There's been a lot of discussion about FZ30 vs FZ50 on this forum lately. Mainly from Tiger98. Do a search for all his posts. He has a 30, bought the 50, tested it extensively, then decided to return the 50 and keep the 30. I have a 30, I love it. Everyone on this board will admit, the 30 has some noise. Some think it's offensive. Others barely notice (myself). It not the greatest camera for low light photography, that much we know. But the 50, from the limited information available, seems to be a step sideways if not backwards altogether. The new image processor in the 50 does some weird things. I'm not a photographer, just an amateur enthusiast. But there seems to be absolutely no difference in resolution between the 2. The 50 has 2 more megapixels, but because of the built in noise reduction effects, the detail loss seems to keep it on par with the 30. Both look good when viewed at normal sizes. But if you plain to view at 100% or do any serious cropping, the 50 washes out detail that the 30 seems to keep just fine.

However, there are some notable extra features on the 50, most important of which is the TTL support (if you want to fork out another 100-500 for a dedicated Panasonic or Olympus flash). The 50's burst shooting is actually slower than the 30, so if your into action photography, stick with the 30. All of this is just my personal opinion and experience. There is a lot of information and samples available on the 30, especially on this forum. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy with the decision. The FZ line is still at the top of the game for now. But unless Panasonic quits the megapixel race and improves the sensitivity of their sensors, they will be overtaken within the next year or so. A shame, because I think the "leica" optics are still the best out there.
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:50 AM   #3

Thank you for that information. It is a tough decision, most of the time it seems obvious to go with the latest technology, but here it's not such and easy choice.

I mainly shoot outdoors (static aircraft / sometimes flying). The burst thing doesn't matter to me too much as i've yet to master that feature! pixel wise, i would think that 2 more MPixels gives me a little more room for cropping but maybe not so according to what some are saying about the noise.

I appreciate the help. Any other thoughts. comments, opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Brian
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4

atkins400 details it very well in my view
but I would choose to illuminate a few areas
I think if you shoot in broad daylight, and do not require large prints you have a good case, given the apparent economy to go for the FZ50.

If you shoot with flash, theres a bridge to cross, because the FZ50 has TTL it is undeniably easier to get a good exposure reliably than the FZ30 with auto flash. That said, the noise of the FZ50 and due to the image processing that counters noise, will create some watercolour effects and blow away some of the detail. If you are printing 6x7 inch photos you probably wont notice, because the grain of the print process would be greater than the grain of the image. If you print A3 photos you best be prepared to lose some detail, or become an abstract artist.

In either case, I think it will be an improvement from the C740, both cameras handle similarly in that and gain an advantage the C740 by a good measure. Primary advantages too are the powerfull and sharp zoom lens, and the gifts of OIS. Add the free LCD on FZ50, that will assist shooting in the stranger circumstances.

One more thing occurs too me. While most people here will hail your personal choice as the right one, and yet given the somewhat strained resistance to the FZ50s introduction. Its seems to me that somewhere in the future, the FZ30 in resale will be worth more than the FZ50. From what you say, its apparent those forces are at work already.

One final bit of advice, take your time making your choice, and read widely. Associate the differences in the cameras to your photographic interests.

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

Just my opinion and I have been trying to decide if I should upgrade from the FZ30....I am not sure the FZ50 is worth the price to upgrade.....and I do believe its a better camera.

IMHO , If I did not have a FZ20 and 30, I would spend the extra 100 for the FZ50 ...but to shell out 500+ dollars ...I do not think I can do that especially for the IQ alone.

If I could see more wildlife photos from the FZ50 in less than perfect light I may still upgrade butnot now.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6

Brian, Both Atkins and Riley pretty well sum it up. I might just add, as they mentioned I have the 30 and love it, I've taken over 20K pictures with it. I bought the 50 and after 800 pictures found, (IMO) the venus III engine has degraded the pictures to less than the quality of the 30. I tried very hard to find a way to improve on the pictures as I wanted to keep the newer camera but I finally gave up and returned the 50. I hope you take your time and choose the camera you will be happy with. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:38 PM   #7

Thank you very much for all the input. I've been now searching to find the 30 and it's not easy to find!!! And as I stated, it's usuallyl not that far in price behind the 50, so when trying to decide I can't even use price point as a factor!!

Interesting note riley, while searching, on some website they had a graph of the sale price for the FZ30 by month. From the graph, it dips down to about $400 between june and august, and this month spikes upward at the end of august into this month almost to $100. hmmmm......

still doing some reading, and i appreciate once again the help. anything else anyone has to say, please do! it's knowledge for me in making my decision.

brian
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:41 PM   #8

brian
I know its hard but if I were you I would hang back and see what develops
with the advent of the Leica version of FZ50 I suspect some changes are available that are not currently on the table, ie a fix for FZ50. A fix that wont resolve all of FZ50's issues I bet, but would make it more pallatable to many. Its a guessing game true but, you just get the feeling Panasonic has to restore some faith here

Riley
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:07 PM   #9

There is no leica version of the FZ50 the leica camera is a 4/3 camera and my guess is that the price will be several thousand dollars.

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
brian
I know its hard but if I were you I would hang back and see what develops
with the advent of the Leica version of FZ50 I suspect some changes are available that are not currently on the table, ie a fix for FZ50. A fix that wont resolve all of FZ50's issues I bet, but would make it more pallatable to many. Its a guessing game true but, you just get the feeling Panasonic has to restore some faith here

Riley
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:13 PM   #10

there is now genece

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...leicavlux1.asp